Glad To See That Absolutely No One Missed You

Mattie's POV

Halfway through the flight, Britt was half asleep against the window, her Walkman playing and her headphones on. Most of the others were asleep too, because I had stood up and looked to see where they were. behind us was Charlie and Adam, and they wouldn't shut up. With all the gadgets they had, they couldn't seem to stop talking. Which amazed me. They talked about the stupidest things, until one thing caught my attention.

"Have you tried talking to her?" Charlie asked Adam. I was sitting sideways in the chair, so was Britt, and our feet were on the chairs. We had enough room to both sit sideways and still be able to sit down and be comfortable. She was half laying down while I was sitting up.

I tap her shoulder with my foot, and she jumps awake, being startled. I giggle and point to the back of our seats. Cocking a brow, she pauses her Walkman and takes a headphone off her ear. "Not really...well kinda, I guess," Adam replies.

I was intrigued with what they were talking about. I knew exactly what they were talking about while Britt seemed oblivious about their entire conversation. "I kinda just spoke my thoughts with Matt. She snapped at first, but then explained everything,"

Adam sighs. "That's Matt though, I've known them forever, Charlie. Matt's my best friend while Brittney and I haven't gotten along. But for the first time in my life I feel like I've gotten through to her,"

"Give her time, Banksy,"

"I have. I even tried telling her that I didn't hate her, but I don't think she believed me," I look at Britt and she shrugs her shoulders, picking her nails.

And now she knew what they were talking about. She grabbed a letter from her bag, the same one I had, for a scholarship to a school in LA, and her glasses. I left her alone to read it while I eaves dropped on the two boys. I kinda had enough of them talking about Britt, and got on my knees, leaning over the seat and looking at them.

"Damn, you two talk loudly," I said.

"Matt!" Adam said, shocked to see me. "You didn't happen to hear that, did you?"

"No!" I said sarcastically.

"What about Britt?" Charlie asked.

I shook my head, lying to their faces. They couldn't know, and she wouldn't tell them int he first place that she knows unless they asked. "You should quiet down or else she will hear. You're lucky she's got her Walkman, headphones and a letter that's she reading,"

I turn and take my seat, sitting there. I pondered over what to do, but we were going to be home in about thirty minutes anyways, so I can wait that long, I guess. I ended up falling asleep because I was tired. The Games had tired me out, it worn me out. I was going to sleep for the rest of the summer. School's out soon anyways, so I'll be good in a couple weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Nice to see you back at school, Matt," Larson sassed as I walked by him. We were indeed back at school, we got back home yesterday evening from the Games. I was dead tired and had went straight to bed when I got home. Britt kinda hung around and told mom everything about the games. Dad was at his place and had just dropped us off, saying goodbye and that he'd see us next week.

Now that he's finally back, and wants to be in our lives more, he and mom had decided that every 2nd week we'd get to spend it at his house. I liked it, and we knew now that on Fridays we'd get off the bus at his place or mom's. This week we're at Mom's and next week we're at Dad's.

"Glad to see that absolutely no one missed you," I told him, and smirked as I headed to my locker, which was three away from his. To my right was Britt, and then my left was Adam, McGill, King, and then Larson.

In the fall, we'll all be transferring to the high school. We'll be freshmen and probably will get picked on, but that's what everyone gets, right? Unless it's changed of course. This school was still uniforms, and I don't complain because I've gotten use to wearing them. Whereas other schools don't have uniforms. They got school uniforms for sports and all, but they're not force to wear them everyday. The uniforms keep the dress code in check, and not violated, bullying isn't big, kids' clothes don't have vulgar images or words on them. They're easier, I'd say. Yeah, we look the same and wear the same thing every day, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

Brittney passed by and I followed alongside her. "Hey, I saw you read that letter yesterday," She looks at me a little confused. "The scholarship," I add.

"Oh, right, the scholarship, yeah," She said, suddenly remembering. I smile and she explains it. "I was thinking about it. It's for this fall, isn't it?"

I nod, and we turn the hall, walking to our next class. "Yeah. It does sound cool, but everything we have is here. Our friends, family, memories. And do you really think mom would let us go that far away from home, and without anyone there with us?"

She shakes her head, contemplating. "No, but still. The school sounds pretty good. Have you seen everything they had to offer?"

"Yeah, I just don't think I want to leave home," I told her.

We arrive in class, sitting apart, since this teacher gave assigned seating. She didn't want kids who didn't get along to sit together, but neither did she wants kids together who spoke too much. So she was stuck with McGill and another boy in our class, while I was with Larson and Brown. Adam was with King and Seywards.

During class, I kinda just scribbled all over my papers while listening. I wasn't really paying attention because it was boring. Brittney was too focused on the lesson to even bother to throw a ball of crumbled paper at her, she wouldn't move, she wouldn't of felt it and if she did, she would've told the teacher and have that kid punished. She's done it before when we were young because Adam and McGill throw paper at her.

Definitely, I was super board. Like I said, drawing all over your notes in your note book was the best thing I had done that afternoon.