Maya

"Oh no, please don't kill me! Please, in the name of the God, have mercy upon me. I beg you!" A girl with curly black hair was pleading like a defeated soul. Her legs gave up as she knelt down, head down and hands flabby. Her voice was barely audible. She sat there trembling with bloody fear when a hand clasped her chin roughly and shook her head up. She could not bear to look into the eyes of the rogue. She sobbed with muffled plead, denying to sacrifice her life in his hands to let the devil take the hindmost. Drops of liquid diamond cascaded down from her eyes, softly rolling on her cheeks and leaving salty sorrowful stains on her skin. The more she thought of dying, the less she became strong. At some time, she felt she would almost faint with fear.

There was no wind that night, no moon to illuminate the dark sky of Bristol. From a distance, an owl's alarmed hoot could be heard if one paid a little attention. The girl's skin crawled and shivers spread down her slick, long spine. Her face appeared serene yet afraid as a silken layer of yellow light fell on her from the street lamp post. The dark red dress she was wearing disguised itself as black. Her curls formed a crown on her head, gently falling down to her waist. If her beloved ones were there, they would instantaneously know she was not well; she was scared to death.

She could now see the whole life she had lived till now. Mom, dad, and her brother were happy to have her. In fact, she was lucky to have such a loving family. All those tiny problems she always nagged about suddenly turned out to be nothing at all. She could still hear her own giggling when she used to play with her grandfather at their wide garden. The sounds of their pet parrot, the bark of their pet dog and the crying noise of their neighbor's child- she could feel them inside her head. From her mother's innocent smile to her school friends' playful chorus song in spare periods; all seemed so valuable and cherishable.

She did not know that everything she thought about, she thought for a few minutes. She was still in danger.

"You filthy worm! You bastard! Don't beg for your life now. It is over" said the tall, skinny man through clenched teeth. His breath reeked of alcohol and of rancid meat.

Then he stood straight and walked away leaving her. As soon as she thought she was unthreatened, a heavy kick pushed her body onto the road. It was a night of great doom, a night when wolves howled with merry and people cried with agony. Thick, warm blood gashed out from the back of her head.

The angry monster jumped on her and started ripping her clothes blindly. The girl was not able to pay attention to the figure on her anymore, she only thought how to escape. His uncut dirty nails tore her skin like razors. She yelled out pain and pain; no single soul bothered to look at her. That two nasty hands made their way to her private parts, unraveling what was hidden beneath the leftover clothes. Her eyes shut, tongue rolled back with ache and disgust: her hands and legs gave in as soon as two venomous fangs dipped deep into her skin. She died right then and there, first from the inside and then physically.

Maya was her name, she was a pretty Indian woman who wanted to help her best friend, Sarah.

Four years had passed since Maya first walked on the roads of Nerja, a small tourist town in Spain where few people lived. It was a town for writers and lovers of nature. Maya was always a freedom fighter. Born and raised in an orthodox Indian family, she used to feel like a fly caught inside a glass room. Just as that fly, she could see the source of light but was never able to reach towards it.

During her school days, she often tore articles of foreign tourism from papers and magazines and read them in school. She was neither good at studies nor at sports. But one thing stood as an advantage for her- her father, Mayor Khushwinder Singh earned a lot and had a wealthy heritage of the property. Maya never wished to spend her father's money in order to quench her own thirst, yet somehow, she finally managed to grab two-tenths of her father's abundance when she came across Rony. Rony Sud, her first true love whom she could blindly trust. The boy with a skinny figure and fair skin fetched her heart like a hungry falcon. And she willingly became his prey.

Maya was a true believer in the God and all spiritual ideas. She used to count upon Krishna, her God, who would grant her dream to fly to abroad just to see the glowing days and extinguishing nights. She felt as if her the only medium Lord Krishna had sent her was Rony, the playboy.

Rony Sud was rich, handsome and intelligent- all in one existence. He had everything any girl would want; looks, cash, and brain. Just like a "buy one get three" offer and Maya, being a true shopper, captured that golden chance.

Swinging the backpack on her shoulder, and putting on her hoody, she got ready in one fine morning. It was a morning when the sun itself smiled, and the bird chirped with ecstasy or so as Maya thought. Maya took her beaming look in as she stood in front of the mirror, and chuckled out, "Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?" but she never waited for it to reply. Probably she was afraid of the truth. She always felt ugly and unbeautiful. At least, that was what she heard from the very first day she began to understand insults and their heavy impacts. And yet  she sang, "Main meri pyaari hun!" ("I am my favorite") while hopping like a happy lamb outside her lonely room.

She waved goodbye to her sleeping mom and dad not before sending them flying kisses and putting the letter on their side table.

Rony took her to Nerja, Spain where their jointed life was joyous and each moment was ecstatic. Maya never wanted to know why and how Rony never spoke of his family and yet he had a garden of trees bearing money. Nor did she questioned his motive behind all those kind gestured. From there, they flew to Bristol, where early voyages of exploration.

 She was satisfied with her fulfilled dream until Sarah came into her life with enlightenment. 

She showed Maya how she was deceived and backstabbed. And the crushing noise she heard from her inside, it was her heart crashing on the shore roughly. One night she came to know that Rony she used to love was a different person with a gruesome purpose. It was the night she died.

--------------------------------
Author's Note:
My dear readers, please feel free to submit what you feel while reading this chapter, your opinions or critical comments. Just comment and I will try to make my story better. :) And please, vote. Will you? <3

Image by wallpapersite.com