Jadefox

Usher Jadefox was lying on his deathbed, waiting for his ragged breaths to come to an end when a crew of some weirdly dressed men broke into his house. Under normal circumstance, he would have jumped on them, kicking and hitting them one by one. But his strength was long gone; it was of no use anymore. He did not have the slightest competency to wake up from the dazed state which consumed him since the very first moment he fell on the bed, paralyzed.

Jadefox was a drug addict since puberty took its first step into his system. And those tiny poisonous atoms of that white powder destroyed his immunity system day by day. At first, he suffered from normal cold, then fever attacked him. He, without caring to bother, continued to inhale drugs time and again. He never noticed how his fever and cold were no longer leaving him. He started to be sick always. Then it happened one day; he was diagnosed with cancer, already the third stage.

He had a memorable life. Like a soldier, he was fearless and tough, he saw deaths yet he neither did anything sacrificial for his country nor did he fought for himself, unlike one.

He dropped out of school at the age of seventeen as his landlord kicked him out of his apartment for not paying the rent and for infidelity. Jadefox ended up at a friend's old, dirty van. It reeked of alcohol, rotten food, and urine as it had a bathroom consisted of just one commode surrounded by a cheap plastic curtain. 

So he bathed by swimming in the nearby pond. It was a threat to his life considering the fact that he took drugs. But Jadefox was content with all these; at least he had a roof over his head now and a blanket to sleep with. He had food which could kill the rats running in his stomach, unlike those homeless people.

Being an orphan never bothered Jadefox much. He got to know that an orphan's life was nothing special, opposite of what ignorant people liked to think; there were no adventure and action in it. Yes, it tended to become tough sometimes, whenever he needed comfort on those cold, scary nights. But, the wind used to sing him lullabies and patted his back until he melted into the world of sleep. Or, whenever he felt lonely after getting bullied at school by those boys who had loving parents. 

Little Jadefox wondered and imagined the life of a lucky boy who had a family. He never got one though; he was never accepted and acknowledged by those couples who sought for adopted happiness. He could not be the happiness for them; all he did was shrug back and run away. No one came after him, just to take him in a warm embrace, making him forget about the fears of being rejected and dejected. Tears of hopelessness were his big weakness. He felt damned, cursed and deserted; his little soul could not bear the pain. That ache which clawed at his heart and dug empty holes of wordlessness. 

At first, the church was his source of peace and relaxation, then it was the local children's park where he could hug the kids' mothers and fathers with his strong imagination power. By the time he reached the age of thirteen, he found solace with his lover, a beautiful girl of his dreams. Everything felt so good, so real, almost ethereal and soothing that he forgot he was, after all, nothing but an unlucky existence. 

The girl became dead as time went on at a swift pace. Teenage Jadefox happened to not know what was wrong with her. So, he guessed she had some kind of disease. He just guessed. There was no proof, nothing. He never saw her dead body; he was afraid of seeing her youthful body to be pale and dry all of a sudden. He did not want his mind's image of her lover's smile with distorted teeth and her playful hazel eyes to overlap with the messy, gloomy image of her grave and her lifeless face. That was why he never went to bid her the last adieu.

As days passed by, his new invented origin of warmth in solitude which was the graveyard of the one and only hand he had over his head, his caretaker in the orphanage. It was funny for him how Death experimented with his power in front of his eyes, and it was weird how he did not want to take Jadefox's life. Drugs crawled stealthily into his life by this time and his world spun as did his head. 

Then, it was all greasy, cloudy memories of how he ended up as a drug addict, anti-social beast. Adult Jadefox skipped and tripped all the hurdles of arranging an adequate sum of money to buy marijuana and sometimes heroin. Theft or robbery became his sole way to achieve the state of ecstatic euphoria. The metro stations, empty parking lots, crowded roads were his preying area now. 

,He could be swept away by the Ameles potamos and he slipped into the underworld everytime his veins had narcotic running in them. It was the unique times when he could do whatever he wanted to, he could forget his first name which he despised acidly; he could run, hide, dance or lie down unmindfully. Life seemed to him fair then.

But now, all he had was a sour disease that was dragging him into a painful abashed state where he could no longer think properly. The crew who barged into his van lately was now searching through his things. Dying Jadefox wanted to smile sarcastically thinking he would die soon enough, so all these investigations would go in vain one day. What a waste of time! He thought and smirked mentally. 

Suddenly, two rough hands grabbed his boney legs and two more hands grasped his thin hands. With a low grunt, he protested as soon as he registered what was going on. Those four weirdoes plucked his fragile body up from his deathbed when a stingy prickle was felt on his neck. Jadefox's eyes got widen and his lips trembled with utter denying; no voice came out just as the needle found its way into his colorless skin. 

Before he could perceive anymore an absolutely strong and overwhelming sleep absorbed his mind. 

Usher Jadefox fell asleep.

------------------------------------------

 Gif from Tumblr