Reminiscence

Twenty-one years prior...

"You need to operate me now. The babies are suffocating inside me. Hurry up!" Her confident voice startled the doctor and he started fumbling through his tools, ordering around the nurses. The mind she possessed was a laboratory of its own where millions of thoughts and incidents were being processed in order to make impossible possible. Her eyes, protected by the saffron eyelashes were scrutinizing all of the white-coat experts. Jean Grey was becoming a mother for the first time and her one hell of a boyfriend, Logan was not there to give the mental support she needed. "You really are wasting your energy by seeking my mental support. Do you really need that even when you can control it?" She imagined Logan saying it to her. He was out somewhere clawing men, she could see it in her mind's eye. He never had the time to spend with her and if he had she did not.

The gnawing finger of insecurity poked her mind with jitters and an uncomfortable thread was pulling her. What Jean was suspecting could not be wrong yet could not be true; but what was this weird doubt she was having? Am I losing it? She thought. The pointed, shiny needle pushed its way into her spine and blew burning liquid inside her body. Jean could see the force of the medicine streaming through her veins and dissolving in her blood slowly.

After some tick tocks, the velvet acidity melts with her blood and absorbed her mind into a dull world. In it, she could not feel any part of her body; only the brain remained awake. She knew a medicine made for a mere human could not soothe her throbbing pain but somehow it was doing the trick making the futile work. The Epidural anesthesia blocked the regional pain which she was having from that morning.

After eight hours and an eternity of efforts later...

The babies were twins; girls. One with milk brown hair and one with cherry red hair colors. Except for that, they both shared the same features including the face and those two pairs of green eyes= twinkling in the dark room. The night had appeared with its silver plate and winged creatures. Jean Grey, the mother of the unnamed babies were snoring after battling for so long. Her one hand was extended so that she could touch her babies and keep them safe. But one of the two tiny girls had not had her mother's hand as a shield as it could not reach her properly.

With the sleeping mother beside them, the two guest who just came to the earth were slumbering too. Suddenly a swarm of bats flew in and out the room and a snake crawled inside. From it, an ugly human-like beast was formed by them whose lower part was coiling and resembled a hellish serpent.

In the distant owls and wolves were heard. The moonlight draped body slithered forward with a toxic smile which revealed black fangs of a snake. She took the unguarded baby in her hands, caressed it with her rough fingers then unwrapped her slimy red tongue and licked the head of the newborn. Her hands cupped the head of the sleeping child and then her mouth moved closer to the little thing's neck. Closer and closer her teeth went and the more Jean became uneasy in her sleep. She was sensing some danger instead she could not let her mind wake up.

The baby cried with pain as the keen fangs stung her skin and the malignant spirit started sucking the blood out of her body. In the meantime, her mother pressured her five senses to cooperate with her mind and she was now awakening. The moment she opened her eyes with difficulty, the monster was gone leaving her poor girl on the cold floor to die.

She scurried to her newborn baby who was oozing blood. Jean thought she could see the curtain of death already donned on her little body. With a tumor of black tension in her throat, she called out for help and her private nurse Achyls came running in. Upon seeing the withering life, her face went pale and she broke into tears.

Achyls told Jean Grey the truth after the doctors declared the newborn to be healing fast. They didn't get to know as the mother was well aware of it. Her husband is the Wolverine. If his daughter would not get his powers then who would. She mentally praised herself for choosing this guy and blessed him. Then she named their daughters, Sarah and Maura. Maura was the one who got nearly killed.

Achyls informed that she was a lamia too, but a good one. She had the self-restraint which her sister lacked. Her sister, Ciara, was an evil lamia. She liked to feed on babies and children from the start, unlike her elder sister. Then they got separated to meet again after a small amount of two hundred years. It seemed at first Ciara had nowhere to go so she counted on her sister, but later on, it was proven that she came to know Achlys got a job in a birthing center. It was all her plan so that she could get her food easily enough.

A few days later, the experts confirmed that the baby was healed completely. They praised Christ for the unthinkable. The babies were locked in a strictly protected area and Jean had to stay away from them a few times a day.

That night was the same; Jean went into the toilet to freshen up a bit again to return to her children. After returning, she saw that Sarah was missing. Nobody could find her still to this day.

And nobody was ever allowed to talk about her. To Jean, it was a shock she could never recover from, and to their father Logan, it was more than just a stab in the chest.

After all the vain searching, Jean left her boyfriend to live with Achlys whom she trusted now. Logan never got to see her again. It was told that Jean died of depression and pain, but deep down Logan knew she could not die.

And that was what happened. Jean Grey did not die ever.