Chapter 11

Cold air blasted me in the face, as I pushed open the metal door, and headed across the parking lot. My steps smacked into the pavement fast and hard. It was such a stupid mistake. Why couldn't I leave things alone? I cut through the empty alley, as my feet carried me past the blaring horns and noise on the street. My brain sorted through jumbled emotions. I could think about it later. Eric was waiting for me at the diner. I sucked in cold air, and let the chill flood my body. A crisp burst of wind tore through my hair, peeling my jacket open. Clutching my coat tighter, I leaned into the biting gust.

When the breeze died, I looked up. My dark hair was tangled across my eyes—and I saw him. Pulse racing; I stopped dead in my tracks. Jake was staring at me through the blur of traffic across the busy street. He leaned against a storefront—watching me. My heart jumped into my throat. Startled by a car horn, I glanced away, and that was all it took. Jake disappeared.

Frantically, my eyes raked the street looking for him, but he was gone. That was it. Knowing I couldn't risk staying still for another second, I ran until I reached the end of the block. The silver beacon stood on the corner. Big neon letters said DINER. It was circa 1950 on the outside, complete with shiny silver siding. The interior was more modern, but still had a counter with bright red stools and gleaming chrome legs.

I jumped through the door, looking for Eric. He sat at a table in the back corner. I slid into the booth opposite him, utterly freaked. An overhead lamp just missed crashing into my skull. Eyes wide, I said, "I saw him."

A waiter slapped down two glasses of water. Condensation beaded on the clear glass, and ran down the sides.

"Where?" Eric asked.

"When I came out of the school. He was across the street. I saw him between the cars, but he disappeared." I felt my face falter. "I didn't see where he went." Panic was rising in my throat.

Eric's amber eyes narrowed. "So, he's still alive. I tracked him, and found where he lived, but he was gone. There was no way to tell if he survived the night he attacked you."

I shook my head, rubbing my hands up and down my arms. "What do we do?"

"Hey, it's okay. There are a few places where Valefar can't attack. One is a church—holy ground. The other, as weird as it sounds, is your home." Eric leaned back.

"My house? Why? Is that like, some weird vampire thing? Do I have to invite him in or something?" I wanted to lay my head on the table. Instead I slumped forward, holding my head between my hands.

Eric smiled slightly, "No, it's a magic thing. You have a parent—someone who loves you. It's a natural ward against demon magic. They can't enter your house, because your mom lives there, too. That's why I kept telling you to stay home. It sounds weird, but it's true." He sipped some water, and then said, "Now, the best way to catch him is to wait for him to take another shot at you."

His words choked the air out of my lungs. How did my life spun out of control so quickly? I summed it up in one word, "Suck."

"Yeah." Eric watched me as he spoke. He leaned forward, with his arms outstretched across the table. He spoke softly, "He won't hurt you again. I promise, Ivy. I won't let him. I won't let anything bad happen to you." His fingers clutched the edge of the table.

I desperately wanted to believe him, but my twisting gut was telling me otherwise. "How?" I asked. "I know you mean well, Eric, but can't protect me from him. You don't even know where he is. I'm a walking target. It's only a matter of time."

"Ivy, look at me," Eric's hand gripped mine, and my gaze slowly lifted to his face, "He won't hurt you again. I swear. I won't let anything hurt you." His eyes were earnest, but he was promising something that I knew he couldn't deliver. Even if he could protect me from Jake, I couldn't expect him to keep his promise if he found out what I really was. Pulling my hand back, I leaned back into the booth.