Chapter 31

"I can't believe you can do that," he said. Collin and I efanotated, and appeared in front of the old stone church.

"Do what?" I asked, looking around to ensure we were alone. We were much closer to the Valefar now, and I didn't like it.

"I've never seen anyone do that. I can't move two people. It's amazing that you can, that's all. You amaze me—in every way possible." His voice sounded odd.

I turned to look at him, unsure of his sudden mood. "It'll be okay, Collin. We'll get the painting and leave." He nodded, taking my hand and walking towards the stone building.

The humidity clung to my flesh like droplets of honey. If the wind picked up more, it would feel better. Collin followed me as we walked up to the little room. He said nothing, but I could tell something was bothering him. I chalked it up to nerves. When we were up in the room inside the church, I walked to the spot I'd thrown the painting. I dug through the piles of books, feeling my way around between the dusty stacks, but I didn't find it. The painting was rolled up. It could have rolled under something. The dust shifted and tickled my nose.

"So, how does this work?" I asked. My butt was in the air, as I reached through a stack. "Does it have a chant on it, or something?"

"Something like that." His voice sounded weird.

"Well, that's a nice vague answer," I laughed. My hand dug between more stacks. I could have pushed them over, but I thought it would crush the painting if it was back there. I sat up. "Huh. I thought it was over here."

Collin's eyes went wide. He looked around the room. The bond shifted suddenly. He was doing something. Something I couldn't fathom. It was like some animal instinct. He was training his senses on the air—looking for signs of previous visitors, besides me. I sat up and watched him, perplexed. His body tensed. "Come!" The room filled with Valefar. They came through the stairwell and poured into the room like roaches. There were too many to fight or run.

I looked at Collin, but he wouldn't meet my gaze. My stomach lurched. "Collin?" I breathed with my heart pounding in my chest. "What is this?" I heard the doubt in my voice. I stared at him unblinking until a familiar voice caught my attention.

Jake. He handed Collin the painting. "You were right. We found it right before you got here."

My gut twisted as severely as my mouth. What had he done? He loved me. He wouldn't do this to me. But, he did. He called the Valefar, and they appeared. They took the prophecy on his command. My doubt suddenly curdled into betrayal. "You didn't... " My eyes went wide, as anger filled me. I knew he could feel it, but I didn't care. "Tell me you didn't tell them to come here and take the prophecy!"

He looked at me, as he took my hand in his. They were rimmed with violet. "I did. I told you that I would do anything to lift the curse, and gain my freedom. I made an agreement with Kreturus a long time ago. A trade. My life, for yours."

Collin's gaze shifted away from me, to the rest of the Valefar. He was stoic, like the rest of them. Repulsion overtook me and I couldn't stand to look at him. I wanted to scream, and felt a surge of angry words building in my mind. All that time we spent together, was what? A lie? A brilliant lie, orchestrated by a cunning being that would do anything possible to gain his life back. I jerked my hand out of his grip. But he tightened his fingers, and stripped the ruby ring. I was stripped of my Valefar power, and trapped.

He turned back to his Valefar and said, "Take her. And two others are coming. I'll need them too."

I screamed, hoping that the others could hear me if they were there. But it was too late. I walked them straight into a trap. "COLLIN!" I screamed at his back. "I saved you! How could you do this to me!" I flailed, as strong Valefar hands restrained me. Collin ignored me, and stared barking orders to people. The Valefar dragged me outside into the night.