Chapter 21

I was torn between feeling like I was kidnapped, and feeling like I was cutting school. Collin led me into a room. The bond pulled me behind him. The bond had tightened, so that we couldn't part more than a few steps. The images and shared memories intensified. When Collin remembered something it felt like I was there. The entire memory flooded me: color, taste, sound, touch, and scents. Nothing was his alone. This new development went two ways. And it scared me. There were no more secrets between us. Well, that's not quite right. There was still one. But, it was only because nothing prompted the memory, yet.

I followed Collin into a lush room dripping with rich dark colors. The walls, the floor, the desk even—they were all rich deep tones of amber, ebony, and mahogany. The carpet was that frieze shag stuff. It reminded me of a dog that licked a socket. He threw his keys down on the desk, and I slid into a chair. I asked, "So, what's going on?" I was silent on the drive to—wherever we were. It's much easier to shut up, when you can actually feel the person next to you short circuiting. Collin had driven us out east, passing by small farm towns, until we finally stopped outside a building surrounded by sod farms. It stood alone in the middle of a field. There was a spot of land behind it that rose up into a hill. It was odd to see it on the flat landscape, but there it was, covered in sod.

Collin looked at me. His shoulders slouched down, as he leaned against the desk. "They know the painting isn't on sacred ground anymore. And they suspect that something else is going on. Rumor has it that one of the Vatican blue's, an important Martis, was here not too long ago. Those folks only poke around when something big is going on. We thought it was about the painting. But that doesn't make sense. She wouldn't be here for that. She'd be irate if she knew it was missing, and she wouldn't have left. But, I'm not sure your people know it's gone. Which makes me think something else is up. Either way, it's attracting more and more Valefar to this area to find out."

I arched my eyebrow and folded my arms. Knowing he was dangerous and knowing he was Collin, was conflicting. "Why haven't you killed me? You've known what I am all along. You knew we were enemies and you let me live. Why?" My heart was pounding. I couldn't mask my rationale: He couldn't be all bad if he didn't kill me, right?

"No," he shook his head closing his eyes tightly. "Ivy, I'm not like you! I'm not good. I spared your life for selfish reasons." His blue gaze met mine. "Nothing more."

I felt something in the back of his mind. It wouldn't come forward, so I pressed. "What selfish stuff did you want me for?" He shifted. His confident stance became more boy-like and unsure. I wondered if he was playing me.

His blue eyes flicked up to mine. "I don't know. I just knew I wanted you around. If I took your soul, you wouldn't be around anymore."

"Why didn't you just bind me, then? You could have had me around forever." My arms folded over my chest. I tried to contain the panic that was rising in my throat.

"I could have." He walked toward me. Pulse racing, I watched him approach. His beautiful body slid down next to mine. His fingers ran down my cheek. His eyes closed, and I felt him fight for control over his flesh. His inner-demon wanted to destroy me.

But, Collin wasn't allowing it.

My voice was a whisper, "I know." I found myself leaning towards him. It felt normal, like a moment between a boy and girl, when they knew they liked each other. But we weren't a boy and a girl. We were natural enemies. I pulled back. "But you didn't. I have to know why."

He leaned away from me. The bond tightened, keeping him from moving away. "I wanted you." That was all he said with no further explanation. I had no idea what to say. I wasn't sure what he meant. He turned to look at me. "Ivy, you're the best thing that's happened to me in eight-hundred and forty-six years. Binding you would have lessened you. And I like you the way you are." He shrugged and looked away. He appeared relaxed, but the bond betrayed him. Collin's emotions swirled within him, making it difficult for him to think. I affected him that much.