Chapter 14

Eric was smart enough not to ask what happened. We drove in silence. I watched him navigate the mid-day traffic. His perfectly combed hair framed his face. There was a faint smile on his lips. It was always there. He didn't flip people off, he didn't curse, and he didn't lie. Me—on the other hand—I wasn't so good. I lied. A lot. Still watching him, I slumped back into the seat.

Eric caught me looking at him out of the corner of his eye. "What?"

I shook my head, looking away, "Nothing. I just never noticed before—you're a good guy. Like good good. You're just... you. I never noticed, but then, I didn't notice a lot of things." My mind started to drift, as I watched the world blur by out the window. The last year of my life was pretty much a haze. I missed a lot of stuff.

"You noticed enough. And don't worry about today. I have to meet with Julia, you talk with Al, and then we can go to the gym and practice some more." The church had an old gym, complete with circa 1945 gym equipment. It was a relic, but it provided a safe place for me to learn. Valefar couldn't enter churches. Since the gym was attached to the church, we were safe.

"Thanks Eric," I pulled my curls over my shoulder, and away from my face. "So, what do you think Sister Al wants with me?"

Eric looked in my direction briefly, before turning his gaze back to the traffic. "Maybe she figured out what your gift is?" All the Martis were sorted into one of three groups based on their natural abilities or giftedness. This gift was supposed to help me fight Valefar. It was supposed to make my life easier, but it was taking Al longer to determine my gift than usual. She wanted to speak to me about it today.

"Maybe," I replied. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop when Al pegged me with a gift. It was going to be a big fat Valefar shoe that clunked with a resounding GONG. Lowering my head, worry pinched my face. I hoped she found a gift that was normal for a Martis. I couldn't afford to blow my secret—not yet.

We pulled up to the back of the church building, and piled out of the truck. Eric walked next to me. It felt like we had both called in to the principal's office. Eric said nothing, as he pulled the door open. Stepping over the threshold, I immediately smacked into someone. The tall brunette was irritated with my clumsiness. She acted like no one had ever stepped on her before. She looked like an Italian supermodel, so maybe no one had. Her waist was tiny, and her h*ps curved just so, and met up with some killer legs. Most girls couldn't get legs like that, even if they stayed on a stair climber all day. Her dark hair was smooth, and pulled back neatly into a clip at the nape of her neck. She was dressed like a librarian, wearing a gray pencil skirt and a sweater vest. And she was glaring at me.

Eric's hand was on the small of my back, as he pushed me back towards her, and into the room. "Ivy, this is Julia. Julia, Ivy Taylor." He looked at Julia, adding, "She's new."

A single perfectly plucked brow arched on her angular face, as her brown eyes evaluated me. She spoke in heavily accented words, "Pleased to meet you," though I could tell that she wasn't. "I am the Regent Martis of the Dyconisi." Her thick Italian accent continued, "Are you going to be a warrior or a healer?" My mouth opened, but I didn't know what to say. I looked at Eric.

Eric answered for me. "She doesn't know what she'll be yet. Al's been working with her to figure it out."

Julia hmmed me.

Feeling a trickle of panic, I realized that her gaze scared the crap out of me. I stepped a tad closer to Eric, and asked, "What are you talking about?"

"Sister Al will tell you. You need to go talk to her," Eric said sweetly.

Julia's arms were folded. "Yes, it is her job. Go and speak with her. Report back when she is through." And she waved me off. Julia's words carried authority, and I doubted there was anyone who didn't listen to her.