Chapter 4: Captured

"I'm sorry, Sonic, but I'm not done yet with my test." Tails told Sonic when he came in. "It's going to take a while longer to get some accurate results. Why don't you go hang out with Cream and Cheese till I'm done? If you feel like you're going to change again, come up here as quickly as possible."

Sonic lets out a sigh, and then heads back outside where Cream, Cheese and Chris were all playing in the pool.

Being afraid of water, Sonic sits down on a chair and watches for a little while, smiling as they splash each other and play a round of Marco Polo.

"Marco!" Chris called out with his eyes closed.

Cream giggles and calls out 'Polo' and Cheese calls it out in 'Chao'. Chris tries and moves closer to where the sounds of their voices were. "I'm going to get you, Marco!"

"Polo, heheh!"

She narrowly ducks underneath the older kid's arms.

"Marco!"

"Polo!"

Sonic chuckles and leans back in the chair to look up at the sky, he lets out another small sigh and closes his eyes. He quickly dozes off to sleep again.

------------------

Present day

Sonic leans his back against the alley wall and looks towards the sky. After that is when we found out this change happens every single night.

The stars glitter in the pitch black sky, as the beast hedgehog's mind wanders into the flashback again.

------------------

He was woken up by Tails a while later, the fox had a worried expression on his face. They both quickly headed to the garage together.

"See, Sonic." He points at some papers and charts pinned to the wall. "Reading shows an abnormal amount of negative energy in your system. This isn't natural to have so much in one person from all I've seen. And from what I can tell, the energy is in some sort of 'dormant' phase."

"A dormant phase?" Sonic asked.

"I think you changed because there was a spike in the negative energy. But what triggered this and if it will happen again, I can't say. And I don't know why there's such a build-up of energy inside of you in the first place."

"Well some answers are better than none, I suppose." Though Sonic felt just as confused he was before.

"Give me some more time and I might find something else."

"Ok...thanks for your help, Tails."

Sonic turned to walk out the door when he stops short; there was the pain in his gut again. "Um, Tails?"

"Yeah, Sonic?"

"I don't know why or how but I think I'm about to change again. I don't think anyone should see this yet!"

The fox leaps to the windows and snaps the blinds shut. Sonic grabs a pillow and puts part of it in his mouth. He tells Tails before he does this that it's to muffle his screams of pain.

When the pain inducing transformation starts up again, Tails only could watch for a few seconds after that, he clamped his hands over his eyes. The transformation was unbearable to witness, especially when it was his best friend.

Even with the pillow in his mouth, he could still hear Sonic's whimpers while his body goes though the changes again. His tail grew long, the muscles expanded, his nose become more wolf like again. All of which Tails just shook, hoping that it would end soon.

Sonic's ears grew and his pelt darkens and lengthens, becoming the thick coat once more.

His arms extend and the talons reappear at the ends on his fingers, sharp as knives.

This goes on for a nearly several unbearable minutes before Sonic drops to the ground panting in exhaustion, weakly he taps Tails' leg to let him know that he was done.

His eyes widen when he takes his hands off of them. "You weren't kidding, Sonic when you said you turned into a beast!"

Sonic nods.

"What? Can't you talk?"

Sonic ears then go down as he shook his head.

"So, you've tried?"

He nods again.

Tails gets to his feet and looks over his friend. "Well, might as well do some tests while you're like this. It might help me come to a conclusion as to why this has happened."

Sonic smiles and his tail wags a little bit, it would be great to find a cure as well, thinking to himself.

------------------

Present day(Again)

Suddenly, Sonic's thoughts were interrupted when he heard a familiar laugh above him. Looking up, his lips quickly curled into a snarl.

Flying high above him in his Egg mobile was Doctor Eggman. The doctor smiled down at him. "Oh ho! Aren't you a big one? So, you're the beast that the media is going on about? You'll be prefect for my plans to destroy a certain pest of mine."

Sonic growls at him. 'Fat chance I'd ever help you!'

But just hearing the growling and not the mental refusal the scientist chuckled. "Oh, don't worry." He pressed a button on his machine's dashboard. "I promise you won't feel a thing."

A large arm ending in what looked like a fire hose dropped from the front of the Egg mobile. Sonic's fur bristles, standing on end as the arm drew closer to him. He tenses up, waiting for it to shoot at him, trying to fire some sort of laser beam or bullets.

Soon it was point blank in his face, yet it still hadn't made any attempt to attack him.

'Well is it going to do something or what?'

Almost immediately after he thought this, he got his answer. All of a sudden, a burst of green gas shot straight into Sonic's face. He lets out a roar of surprise and leaps back trying to avoid it, but it was already starting to take effect.

"It's time for you to take a nice nap, my friend." Eggman chuckles with a smile.

Sonic takes tumbling step trying to stay on his feet, his mind was getting foggier and foggier. He was trying to fight off the effects of the gas, but was failing miserably.

"'m am...not your...friend!'

"Sir, is the knock-out gas even working?" One of Eggman's robots, Bokkun, looked down at Sonic, flying next to the doctor.

"Oh, don't worry, it's trying to fight it but it won't be able to for long."

Which was true, Sonic drops to his knees, his vision was fading fast and his mind was barely able to come up with a single complete thought.

"See, what did I tell you?"

Then Sonic's arms gave way and he collapses to the ground. Another mechanical arm comes out of the Egg mobile and carefully picks up the knocked out hedgehog.

"Now, to my Egg Fort!" Eggman happily boasts as he carefully starts to steer the ship out of the city.