Prologue

Emily pounded Jane's front door, panting. When her best friend opened it, she collapsed to the hallway, still panting.

"Let's be honest," she said to Jane. "You and I are losers."

Jane laughed because she thought both Emily and her already knew that for a fact. Besides her best friend always had a way of making it funny. But Jane hadn't been completely hopeless. She did make a few shots during basketball practice and sometimes got a C+ on her tests. She might not be as good in sports and school as Caroline, but she wasn't as bad as Emily either.

"We could form a club," Emily went on. Jane pulled her friend to a seated position and dropped down to her level so that they could talk better and to find out what silly idea Emily had come up with this time.

"A club for what?" she said, cocking her head to the side.

"A club for losers," Emily said, which made Jane laugh again. "It would be open only for people like us. Like, you'd have to be bad at a certain number of things to qualify for a membership. You'd have to miss the most baskets in P.E, and read the shortest books for English class, and have the worst experiment at the science fair."

"And we'll call it..." Jane prompted as if waiting for a brilliant name, but brilliant names don't come easily for them.

"Loser Club!" Emily grinned. "You know like the 'Breakfast Club', or something like that."

"Do people have to eat breakfast together to be a member though?" Jane wondered, getting distracted.

"I don't know, I just heard about it somewhere, so I stole the concept," Emily said with a shrug. "So I'll be the president, and you can be the vice president. Well...unless you want to be the president?"

"Nah." Jane shook her head. "The club was your idea."

Besides, Jane figured, it was more loser-ish to be a vice president than a president, even of a loser club for two.