Chapter 11

Jane wondered exactly how the others had found out that Lucy liked her. Mary had probably told them. She was the kind of girl who loved to know a secret about somebody that she could sell to somebody else for free. Now Mary had Jane's secret. She only hoped that no one would buy it.

Jane remembered how Mary had snatched back the poem she had shown her the other week, most likely so she could have the pleasure of showing it around. Not that Lucy ever tried to hide any of her poems. She scribbled in her Moleskine notebook in full view of the whole world. More than once, Jane had seen Mary standing right behind Lucy, reading over her shoulder.

One thing was clear, though. If Lucy's crush had been a secret before, it was a secret no longer. It seemed everywhere she turned, people looked at Jane weirdly. And when Jane walked into science class, a couple of other classmates in the back of the room made loud kissing noises.

On the chalkboard someone had written, in an oversized heart: J.W+L.A. Jane wanted to erase it before Ms. Anderson saw it, but she would only call attention to herself by going up to the board.

Ms. Anderson ended up erasing the giant heart herself after the bell rang. Jane hoped the teacher didn't think she was the J.W who supposedly loved L.A. For the truth was that J.W loved. G.A.

In art class, Jane found a poem waiting for her on her desk.

'To Jane, My True Love

I love you, dear Jane.

You are my hero.

Even though sometimes

You act like a weirdo.'

It was signed: "Your loveress forever, Lucy Adams."

Who had written it? Definitely not Lucy. It wasn't Lucy handwriting or her style. Was it Jonas? Or someone else? It must have been Jonas. It would be too depressing if everyone except Emily turned against her.

Jane still couldn't help thinking. Did she actually act like a weirdo? She couldn't think of any weird things she had done lately, but maybe if Lucy liked you, that was proof enough that you were weird.

On the way to third-period math, Jane prayed. Please don't let this be a day for Peer-Teaching.

But the universe seemed to listen better to prayers about Caroline.

As soon as the bell rang, Mr. Putnam said, "Let's begin with Peer-Teaching. I want to make sure you have enough time to get a good start on studying for your upcoming exam."

The others began the familiar pushing and shoving of desks.

"Oh, Janieeee!" Jonas called over to her. "Lucy is waiting for you!"

Charlie joined in. "Oh, Lucy! Come to Janieeee!"

Jane didn't move. The chorus of "Janieee!" and "Lucyyyy!" continued.

"Boys! Is there a problem?" Mr. Putnam finally seemed to notice that there was a disturbance in the room. Today his bow and suspenders were both fire-engine red. "Please move your desks quickly and quietly."

Jane couldn't move hers. She just couldn't. She waited for Lucy to move hers. She didn't budge, either.

"Jane, Lucy, get moving," Mr. Putnam said. "Let me remind you that the first exam is going to determine half your grade for this semester."

After one of the longest minutes that Jane had ever known, Lucy slowly moved her desk, not right next to hers this time, but close enough to satisfy Mr. Putnam.