~11

Finn

I got my crutches and Jack and I went on a walk to get out of the room. He hasn't left my side. The two of us sit on a bench and stare out at the beautiful garden they've planted.

"Lately, I keep feeling that everything's my fault. That I could've done better. That I should've done better." Jack utters, not turning his head to face me.

"What are you talking about?" I began to worry. This was not like Jack at all.

He finally looks at me and that's when I realize he was crying. "My own family didn't love me so they left. It was my fault they left. And because of that it makes me think that no one could ever love me. Maybe I was just unlovable. My foster parents hate me. No one could ever love me."

"Jack-"

"It's my fault you're in the hospital and don't even deny it. Please, it'll just make things worse. I keep messing up. And that's all I'll ever do." He's crying even harder now.

"Listen to me-"

"And now Gaten. I could've done more. We all could've. He needed us. He was screaming out but we didn't hear him- I didn't hear him. And now he could possibly be dead. So yeah, everything I ever touch always breaks." Tears of my own begin to form. He bites on his lip to refrain from sobbing but it's too late.

I pull him into a hug and refuse to let go. "Never say that, Jack. You are perfect, absolutely perfect. You were way too young to do anything if you think it was your fault your parents left. Because I can promise you, if they knew who you grew up to be today, they would fall in love with you." I kiss the top of his forehead and place my chin under his head.

"I'm fine. And I will tell you that a million times if that's what it takes to convince you. I mean, do you see how badass this cast looks? I can come up with so many stories to tell people. I'm actually looking forward to it. I think I'm going to tell Mrs. Reagan that a shark bit me." I place both my hands on either side of his head and kiss his forehead.

"And what happened with Gaten was absolutely terrible. And we did help. Because although he hurt our friends, we still welcomed him. We did everything we could. And when he comes home, we'll be there every step of the way." My bottom lip begins to tremble.

"Jack, I love who you are as a person. You are absolutely incredible. You're the only person I know who can make me laugh and feel happy. You worry about others more than yourself and you make the world brighter. Please, never, ever doubt yourself or else I'll spend the rest of the day giving you reasons why the world needs Jack Dylan Grazer." I wipe his tears and place a kiss on his lips.

"The world needs your smile, bubba." I smile and hug him again.

He just sit there in each other's embrace for what feels like forever.

If I had the choice, I would stay there forever.

I was finally allowed to go home. I invited Jack over and we decided that we just wanted to relax for the rest of the night. So he grabs a blanket and I turn on a movie.

He snuggles into my side and we stare at the screen. But then the door opens and I thought my mother was working a later shift. But when I looked up to see who was there, I can tell you I was shocked to see my father.

"Dad, when did you come back?" I jumped up and got my crutches to hug him.

"Once I heard about the accident my boss let me come see you and I'm here." My father explained, hugging me back.

"Finn, I'll walk home so you can spend time with your father." Jack forced a smile. Ever since what happened in the lake, I didn't ever want him to go.