Chapter 8 : Nightmares

[ 3rd POV ]

Kaila shifted in her sleep, as her blanket covers were pulled off her.

"Kaila, honey. It's time to get up." Yagari sat on the edge of the bed, as he rubbed her exposed shoulder.

"M-mom?!" She gasped, sitting up in a flash.

"I love you, honey."

"Kaila?" The hunter called confusedly as his adopted daughter took in quick, sharp breaths and held a hand to her chest.

The said girl turned to her dad, showing her teary eyes, red nose and flushed cheeks.

"D-dad.. It's happening again." She sobbed, burying her face in the crook of his neck, burying him in a hug.

Yagari's eyes softened as he hugged her back, "Shh.. It's gonna be alright kid. Don't worry, I'm right here."

Kaila's sniffles came to a stop, as she pulled away with a weak smile.

"Thanks daddy." Her efforts of trying to convince Yagari that she's alright failed.

"We'll handle it together, alright? It not that far from now." He assured her, and petted her head.

Kaila purred contentedly, her head leaning on his touch as her feline features appeared.

Yagari chuckled, standing up and pulled Kaila along with him.

"There's school today, now off you go. I'll meet you outside in ten minutes." He waved, and left.

Kaila sighed, walking towards the washroom to get ready for the day.

-

Rido licked his lips, as he listened to his worker's report on Cross Academy.

"Hm, seems like I'd have to carry out the plan earlier than I thought." He chuckled, taking a sip of blood from his wine glass.

"You promised, you wouldn't harm them." A female voice spoke from behind him, as she glared daggers towards him.

Rido waved her off, as he glanced at her. "Yes, I did. But not towards everyone else."

She gritted her teeth, "This isn't funny, Kuran. I followed your orders, in exchange for safety for my loved ones."

"Yes. But promises are made to be broken, aren't they?"