"But You Don't Love Her."

Arthur's POV

Slowly the sunlight began to peer in to my chambers as the curtains were pulled back. My eyes opened gradually and stood at the foot of my bed was my servant. He was organising my clothes in to piles as I sat up. I found myself watching his every move; I stared as he delicately folded each garment of mine. Merlin headed towards the table and being him stumbled on the chair. I couldn't help but let out a small laugh and he jolted around to face me with embarrassment in his eyes. "Oh sire you're awake." I smirk and respond "very observant Merlin, well done." 

Interrupting my teasing father burst through the doors of my chambers making Merlin jump slightly. "Arthur, Princess Maia is here and you need to get to know her fast as you will be married in a few days." Did he just say what I think he did? I looked at Merlin and mouthed "what" my servant shrugged in response. "Father this is ridiculous, I don't know Princess Maia I can't marry someone I don't know and don't love." The king snorted and replied "Well of course you can marriage for the likes of you and I is not about love it's about power and stability for the kingdom." My eyes widened and I answered "Father you can't be serious..." I was cut off by the king "No arguments Arthur, I want you dressed and ready to greet the princess in 15 minutes." He stormed out of the chambers and I turned to face my servant who was looking at the floor. He looked broken. As though the news of my marriage had shattered his heart. In that second I realised something, something that had been missing from my life for years. Love. As I looked at Merlin all I could feel was love. Somehow I could feel the love pouring out of him too. I could sense he felt the same but he did not say a word. 

*A FEW DAYS LATER*

 I was pacing back and forth in my chambers waiting for Merlin, I had no idea what to do. Marry someone I'm not in love with to please my father and the kingdom or tell the one person I love the most in this world how I feel about him but risk losing him and the king. The raven haired boy strolled in, his usual cheery look not on his face. He came towards me and gave me a hug; I was quite shocked but buried my head in to him. As he pulled away he whispered "You can't marry her." Surprised I responded "Merlin I have to." With hurt in his eyes he managed to form a sentence "But you don't love her." I placed my hand on his shoulder "No I don't love her."

As I stood at the throne the bishop spoke and I was in my own little world. I couldn't hear any of the ceremony all I could picture was Merlin's expression when he knew I was going to go ahead with the wedding. I think he wanted to tell me how he felt but he was too scared. I turned my head to face him and the whole room went noiseless. My father angrily questioned "Arthur what are you doing?" With my eyes fixated on Merlin I spoke. "I can't do this. I can't marry Maia." The king even more frustrated hissed "Why on earth not?" Still staring at Merlin, making it obvious who this next statement was about I replied "Because I'm already in love." I watched as Merlin's eyes widened and a soft smile took over his face. Something came over me again I was in my own little bubble ignoring my father's shouting and I walked towards Merlin. Without hesitation I grabbed his collar and pulled him in for a kiss. Our lips met and I felt passion, warmth and love. It felt so good to be able to finally show him how much I adored him. As we pulled apart the whole room stood in complete silence...