King Arthur

As the crown was placed on Arthur's head the whole room chanted " Long live the king" over and over. Arthur Pendragon was now king. His father had passed away due to an illness and Arthur was now king of Camelot. He was nervous, he was excited but most of all he was happy. Gwen had just accepted Arthur's proposal and life was looking good for the new king. Well apart from the fact his servant had been in a mood with him for the past week or two. Arthur saw Merlin pass through the corridor and he followed him. "Merlin, hang on wait." The serving boy slowly turned around and with a sarcastic smile said "Arthur can I help you?" The king frowned and replied "Merlin why have you been avoiding me?" Merlin looking embarrassed answered "I haven't." "Yes you have "Arthur said with slight frustration in his voice. Merlin bowed his head "Sorry sire." He walked off and left Arthur stood awkwardly.

"Tell him how you feel." Gaius ordered. I looked at him in shock. "Gaius I can't, if I tell him I will ruin everything. Him and Gwen, our friendship and his status." Gaius chuckled "Merlin I've seen the way he looks at you it's obvious he isn't in love with Gwen."

I anxiously walked in to the king's chambers to find him with his arms around Gwen. He spotted me and took his hands off her quickly "Merlin." Gwen gasped and moved away from Arthur. "Sorry my lord. I will leave." Gwen smiled "No Merlin its fine, I will go." Arthur waved her off and looked at me "Well come in then." I strolled in and sat at the table. Arthur came to join me and looked confused. "Merlin is everything alright?" I took a deep breath. "No not really." The king placed his hand on mine and we both looked in to each other's eyes. A soft smile came across Arthur's face and he asked "What is the matter?" Quietly, worried about the reaction, I spoke. "I don't think you should marry Gwen." I couldn't tell Arthur's mood from his face but he replied "And why is that?" Even quieter I answered "Because I don't think you love her." The king shook his head and responded "Well that's where you're wrong, I love Gwen and she will soon become my queen."

 I sat in silence for a few minutes and then stood up. "Ok I'm sorry. I will leave now." Arthur grabbed my arm, and our eyes met again. He covered my body with his eyes and I watched as he licked his lips. I knew he felt the same I could sense it. He wasn't ready to accept the fact he was homosexual. That was understandable. The next thing he said made my heart flutter "I can't help who I'm in love with." Arthur said those words without taking his eyes off mine. He let go of my arm slowly and whispered "I didn't choose it. It just happened"

Arthur's POV

Of course I wasn't in love with Gwen. I'm in love with Merlin but I can't have him. I know he loves me too, I've known for months. We live in a society where it is forbidden for two men to love each other and being a king I am an idol to many. It breaks my heart everyday knowing I will marry someone I do not love and watch the man I do love serve us while he suffers in silence. I believed choosing Gwen to marry would show everyone it was easy for a king to love a servant and maybe they would accept Merlin despite the fact he is a man. Merlin makes me feel complete. I couldn't hold it in any longer I needed to tell him, to kiss him but mainly hold him in my arms. I dashed over to Gaius's chambers and saw Merlin sitting at the table with his head in his arms. He shot up and stood still, unsure what to do. My subconscious was whispering "Do it, kiss him." I walked towards him and placed my hand behind his head, pulling him in for a warm and delicate kiss. We pulled apart and I stroked his cheek "I told you, I can't help who I'm in love with." Merlin beamed and whispered "I love you too."