Chapter Three: Surprise Surprise..

It has probably been at least thirty minutes tops since I have been sent to my room. Boredom has been eating me up alive. Instead of reading a book that I recently bought on my way home, I do flips off of the bed, do push-ups, ab workouts, anything. But I'm still unamused. Just as I was about to climb out of the window and climb all over the Dauntless compound, my mother walks in my room. She wears a sad smile upon her face. It's very new to me, to see that kind of smile. "Sweetie," says my mother, "will you join us in the dining room?"

I nod and follow her, not before closing my door. Once we walk in the dining room, my father has a grim look on his face and Eric, who is still here, looks very troubled. My father's eyes find mine and he attempts to smile before saying, "Hey pumpkin, take a seat."

I obey and sit in the empty chair at the table.

"What's going on?" I ask my parents while looking them in the eye. They give each other a look and Eric looks at me from the corner of his eye.

"Luella," my mother says, "what were your test results?"

"Excuse me?" I am truly shocked and frustrated at the same time. What the hell is going on here?

"Ignore the rules, darling. Please, tell us your test results."

I take a shaky breath. I know that it's against the law to tell your test results. Plus the fact that being Divergent is dangerous to the system. You'll be killed for being such a thing. I ignore the growing fear and answer strongly, "They were inconclusive, my test results. It was inconclusive between Erudite and Dauntless."

I am trembling as a more heavy silence filled the dining room. This makes me even more terrified of what is yet to come. My parents and Eric are Dauntless leaders. Would they really let me die because of who I am? Or would they keep my divergence a secret from the system and their fellow colleagues? My heart started racing and my palms started getting clammy. I wipe my hands on my leather pants as I looked at everyone at the table. My parents were staring intently whose eyes glazed with worry and stress. I looked at Eric who had the same look, but at me. I quickly avert my eyes as a strange, yet new, feeling creeped up inside of me. I don't know what this feeling is, but it makes me feel tingley.

"Adrien, should we tell her our... plan?" My mother asked my father. He let out a long sigh and nods. My father briefly glances at Eric before turning his gaze to me.

"Are you guys going to let me die? You know, for my... uh, test results." I bite my lip nervously as they all look at me. What's their plan? My mother takes my hand, and responds, "No, darling, we're not going to let you be executed. Only the four of us will know."

I sigh of relief escapes my body. For some reason, I just realized I have been holding my breath. A small smile tugged at my lips, which kind of spread my snake bites.

"But," my father suddenly says. My smile goes away. But what? What is it? "We have to find a way to make it less obvious that you are... you know."

My eyebrows furrow in confusion. "What are you saying?"

"He's saying that you should stay in Dauntless for your own safety. To make your divergence less noticeable, it has to be in this compound. Otherwise, you're already dead." Eric interjects, with a steady look. His dull gray eyes looked into mine, as if he was boring them into my soul. When he said 'divergence', he said it in a whisper as if he was concerned with my safety.

"Oh... So what does it take to make it less noticeable?" I stare back at all of them. They look uncomfortable, as if there was a disturbance in the environment.

"You have to have an arranged marriage to a Dauntless leader." My mom replied. Did she just say MARRY a Dauntless leader? There's only six leaders! "But, the only leaders of the compound are Max, Eric, and us. Your father and I are ruled out, and so is Monica. So that leaves Eric, Max, and Vernados."

"Vernados and Max are too old for you. Besides, it's dangerous for them to know about you and your identity." My father interjected.

"That means that you and Eric will have to get married. He's the only one we trust." My mother proclaimed. My body freezes, and my throat clumps up. My eyes slowly tear away from my mother to Eric. He has a look of hope and cautiousness. We stare at each other in silence.

"Alright. As long as it keeps me alive, I'll do it." I responded, not keeping my eyes off of Eric. A tiny smile played at my lips to decrease the tense feeling in the room. Eric also returns the same smile in a comforting way. It's that kind of smile where people like Four would think it's a menacing smile. But to me, it's something that gives me comfort and reassurance that my parents chose the right person to trust with their only daughter's life. If Eric and I do our parts, the plan will succeed. And maybe, just maybe, we will end up falling in love for real.

{*A/N: hey hey hey!!! Yeah, I know it's not Friday, but I decided to make this an exception only because I didn't update on Friday. I really hope you liked this, my sister helped me*}