CONFIRMATION CLASS

CHAPTER SEVEN

People were moving slowly but some fast. The overly dressed ones, walked dramatically. Some gave out a foolish nervous laugh. Teenagers that walked in groups talked in silly high pitched voices.

Mothers, fathers, scold their kids in public. A handsome young man in a rush halted a motorcycle the exact same time a gorgeous lady did too. The motorcyclist didn't flicker for a moment but went ahead to respond to the lady and left the young man exasperated.

Television Street was busy as a bee. It was a sunny Sunday morning and no one wanted to be late for Church.

''I hate how these kids will come here with N200 naira just to buy only one little snack. I'm sure they just want little change for their church offerings.'' Mama Uka said to nobody in particular whilst making her bed.

''Mummy, someone wants to buy TomTom.'' Ngo said as she came out of the kitchen.
''How many does the person want?''
''Just one.''
''That's it! Ukamaka! Ukamaka!'' Mama Uka called out to her daughter.
''Where's she?'' She asked when she heard no reply.

''Mummy, she's in the bathroom.'' Uju ran into her mother's room half naked.
''Oh my goodness! So she's still in that bathroom. She doesn't know we'll be late for church.''
''It was three people's turn before her and Mama Tochi pleaded to bathe first.''
''Never Mind. I'll go close up the shop myself. Go finish dressing up.

''Emeka and Chuma. These are the shoes you should wear. It goes well with your outfits. Take those ones off right away. Be quick! We're running late.

They put the lights out, locked all doors and off to Church they went.

At St. Paul's Anglican Church, Kakuri, the choristers wrapped up their ministration, as the Reverend appeared in a white robe and ascended the pulpit. The congregation then had their seats. The ushers laid a blockade to all doors immediately; not letting the late comers who were in a hurry to go in walk through. The blockade can be described as a long thick stretchy rope that had like a pirate hook at each end and so it was hooked to one side of the door and then extended to the other side but a bit high enough that nobody could climb over it but can obviously go under it. Some people sometimes do go over it but mostly because they weren't too embarrassed or could care less and some that were too slow got sent back in a very embarrassing manner sometimes and it all depends on the particular usher minding the door.

They all had to wait awhile outside before they are permitted in. Fortunately for Mama Uka and her children, they arrived earlier and Mama Uka didn't have to wait outside with a lot of people.

Uka, Edu, Uju and Chuma went over to the pre teenagers department but not before taking Emeka and Ngo to the kid lets department first.

''Less noise. Lessen the noise and pay perfect attention.'' Mrs. Penelope, the kid let's provost said to the kids.

Mrs. Penelope wasn't permitted to bear her husband's last name. She was the wife of the Reverend's first son, Onyeka. They met while he was still studying in the USA.

Penelope's parents tried to be an obstacle in their relationship. They didn't want their only daughter to wed a Nigerian man but they loved Penelope too much to see her unhappy but it came with a consequence.

At the wedding ceremony, which held in South Africa, Mr. Rainer took his daughter out of the way and wept sorrowfully-
''You look absolutely stunning.'' He said to her. Glancing at her custom made white wedding dress.
''You know this was difficult for me but you already have my blessings. I wouldn't want to jeopardize or ruin your happiness.'' He said.