FAMOUS SALAKA

CHAPTER EIGHT

       Mama Uka and her children arrived home from church and the instant they all walked into the house, they were greeted with an offensive, heinous smell.

''Ughh. Smells like a rat died in here.'' Ngo crinkled her nose.

''Yes. A rat actually died here.'' Uka said and went into the kitchen.

''I can smell it strongly here. I think it died here.'' Uka went to grab a broom.

''Edu, come help me move the fridge a bit. It smells strongly at the corner of it.''

''Have you taken it out?'' Mama Uka asked all the way from her room. She wanted to cook some white rice. Stew had ready been made; she always made stew very early in the morning before they would leave for church.
''Make sure to put it in the trash can beside the gate.''

Ngo ran up and down the parlor screaming. Edu held the dead rat on its tail as he scared her with it.

''What's happening over there? Ka m nu ife o.'' Mama Uka sounded disturbed and immediately without blinking, Edu ran out to trash the rat as fast as he could.

Mama Uka pulled out of her church clothes and into something more comfortable; a red flowery kimono. She went into the kitchen to boil up some white rice while her children watched the television.

As they all sat down to eat, Uka told her mother all that director Chima told them about Confirmation.

''Ohh. That's good. If you want to do it at this age that's fine. In fact even better. I did mine when I was about to get married to your father. You'll need the certificate when you're about to get married. I didn't have mine then. It almost put my wedding on hold but God took control.''

''Wow. So without the certificate one can't wed. Hmm.'' Uka said.

''Yes. In an Anglican Church though so I would advice you to participate right away before you get too busy and occupied with your CE exams coming soon and later on junior school, I think now is the best time.'' Said Mama Uka.

Uka nodded her head and looked up at Edu, who gave her a firm look.

''Mummy.'' Uju started. ''Can you believe that Chuma slept during the entire sermon in Church today.'' Uju made a funny mock face at Chuma who was so dumbfounded. Uju being Chuma's immediate senior, they were both closer.

''Really? You couldn't just mind your freaking self and just put that food down your fat belly!'' Chuma snapped at Uju.

They all laughed so loud except their mother.

''Ozugo nu. Enough biko.'' Mama Uka said when she realized how upset Chuma looked.

''Hahaha. Sleepy sleepy boy.'' Emeka was still laughing.

''What about you? I saw you beg Jo for his snacks.'' Ngo reminded Emeka who laughed nervously now and tried not to make eye contact with his mother who he knew was already furious at him.

''How else am I ever going to say it so that it could stick inside your head. Eh! Chukwuemeka! Didn't I give you enough money for your own snacks. You better make sure that I don't hear this unmorally news about you next time.'' Mama Uka yelled.

She knew she always gave them whatever they asked. She worked hard daily to make sure she was able to provide solidly for her children which she did. She never wanted them to lack anything and everything.