CHAMELEON

CHAPTER TEN

''Hahahahahaa.'' The teachers laughed out loud; it echoed throughout the empty hall. It was Mrs. Hassan, Mrs. Ndubuilo and Mrs. Kewe.

Poor Miss Mary didn't know that she was the cause of their laughter. She greeted them innocently and walked out of the hall.

''Despite the plunging neckline, off the shoulder tops and tight mini skirts, this woman has no engagement ring on her finger. What a shame.'' Said Mrs. Kewe and thereafter, Mr. Gbenga walked into the hall.

''She's got the brains but her morals are dead. Allah!'' Said Mrs. Hassan. The women gushed into laughter again.

''I'm not myself anymore. I've become a laughable caricature of these women.'' Said Mr. Gbenga to himself as he assumed the ladies referred to him, so he started to make his way out of the hall.

''Come and join us? Mr. Gbenga. Why so much in a hurry dear?'' Said Mrs. Kewe but Mr. Gbenga picked up his pace even more.

''Oh dear, dear, dear.'' Mr. Gbenga whispered to himself as he kept his head down.

''Mr. Gbenga. You just got here and you are already going to leave? Is there a problem dear?'' Said Mrs. Hassan.

''Yes there is. Erm. I mean no. Of course not. Why will there be. I erm, only came to make sure the desks have been put in order like I instructed.'' Mr. Gbenga lied.

''My. So it was you that asked them, and for once I thought the pupils developed common sense already.'' Said Mrs. Hassan and the women laughed.

''But now that you know; you can stay then?'' Said Mrs. Ndubuilo.
''Oh no no. I have a class now. I mustn't keep my pupils waiting.'' Said Mr. Gbenga. He straightened his blue tie as he forced the words out.

''Hahahahhahahahaha.'' The women laughed.
''Mr. Gbenga. Its break period. Didn't you hear the bell? Wow! You work so hard. Come on you deserve a break. Come sit down for a second.'' Mrs. Ndubuilo said.

''Yes. Have you had anything to eat? You can help me finish my shinkafa. I really think it's too much for me.'' Said Mrs. Hassan as she pointed to her very big round food flask seated on the wooden desk in front of her.

Mr. Gbenga adjusted his glasses as he looked at where Mrs Ndubuilo had pointed for him to sit and Mrs. Hassan's big food flask. His head quickly spanned for a second, then he said;

''Really I have to go.'' And he vanished really quick.

''He works so hard.''
''He's handsome too.''
''And yet it confuses me why he's not married yet.''

''Maybe if he stops being too quirky, ladies would notice him or don't you both think so?'' Mrs. Ndubuilo said.

  ''I just reasoned the best but odd idea.'' Mrs. Kewe said in excitement.

''Hit us.'' Said Mrs. Hassan.

''I think we should play matchmaker for Miss Mary and Mr. Gbenga.

''Ahhhhhhhllah.'' Mrs. Hassan covered her wide opened mouth with her hand.
''Hehe. If you think a mathematician who has a pure reputation of being eccentric, will go for a vivacious woman like Miss Mary, then please by all means, I want to know how you've designed this miracle plan of yours.'' Said Mrs. Ndubuilo.
  ''Cause it'll take a miracle huh?''