SCHOOL SHENANIGANS (PART TWO)

''The day is bright. It's bright and fair. Oh happy day. The day of joy.''(2 Times
The pupils of Foundation Nursery and Primary School sang out during their 8:0'clock assembly hour.

  ''Remember. Don't try to be funny as always. This song is not a joke.'' Mrs. Ahmed, the headmistress cautioned the pupils as she kept her hands akimbo.
  ''Mama jollof rice!'' The pupils in Primary Five and Six made an addition to the song heedless Mrs. Admed's warning to them.
  ''I thought I made myself clear to all of you?'' She was furious and there was loud laugher in the air.
The Primary Five and Six pupils weren't really terrified of Mrs. Ahmed any longer because they knew they'd soon write their Common Entrance Examination and vacate the school. Majority of the pupils in Primary Five were going to write the exams.

  ''Primary Six and Five! Kneel where you stand!'' Mrs. Ahmed yelled as she took a long cane from one of the teachers who were all standing at the back of the pupils.
  ''This is not a military school but perhaps you pupils want to be treated like you are in one. You're going to remain on your knees till this assembly is done and afterwards, Mr. Gbenga will assist me in whopping some sense into your little heads.''
  ''At least she didn't call us big heads.'' Rashed whispered out.
  ''Hahahahahahahahahaha.'' The pupils laughed out loud.
  ''What was that?'' Mrs. Ahmed had had it with them.
  ''Headmistress please my knees are hurting.''  Zara spoke up.
  ''You all need to be serious and focused especially now that you have a serious exam to sit for. Your teachers won't be there to tell you the answers and I won't be either so it's going to be just you and your question papers. I believe this school has done its best to train you but it's up to you actually to decide if you want to venture into your different Secondary Schools a failure or a victor. Be wise.'' She said and with her hand gesture, she dismissed the rest of the pupils to their various classes. Assembly was over on her account.
  ''You all will remain kneeling till you are remorseful.'' The pupils murmured amongst themselves.
''And no incase you're all wondering; I'm not going to get you all whooped because these days it's like the more we flog the more naughtiness you all exude so I'm going to save Mr. Gbenga the stress. You all are going to remain on your knees till its almost time for your short break.
''Headmistress. No! Please. Reconsider. I have fragile knees. I can't be able to endure the pain. Uka! Edu! What sort of prefect and assistant prefect are you guys. Say something. Save us. Save me. My knees are on fire!'' Zara screamed out.
''This is torture.'' Said Edu.
''Headmistress please. We're very sorry. It won't repeat itself again. We'll change. Please.'' Uka found her voice.
''Headmistress may I use this opportunity to report to you that Primary 6A is the most stubborn. Their noise making is out of this world.'' Said Mrs. Kewe.
''May I also add that grading their home work makes me nauseous.'' Mrs. Hassan said.
''You see. These are the issues.'' The headmistress folded her arms.
''Yes and it's terrible.''
''Headmistress we are sorry.'' The pupils chorused.
''All I want to hear and see is change from all of you. A change in your attitude towards your academics.
''Headmistress the morning sun is too hot o.'' Rashed bluntly spoke.
''Shut up Rashed!'' The pupils yelled at him.
''I'm just being realistic that's all.''
Just as Mrs. Ahmed was about to say a word, a fair boy in Primary three was running towards them. He was neatly dressed in his dark red shorts and a light colored short sleeve shirt with red polka dots. His white socks beaming over his brownish shoes.
''Is that not your brother, Emeka?'' Uju's classmate Nina Peele whispered to her.
''Yes and I wonder why he's running.''
''Really? You wonder? Errm why wonder. He has problems with his legs?'' Nina Peele sounded surprised.
''What? No. He's just lazy that's all.'' Uju was happy to let her know.
''Ohhh. Cool.'' Nina Peele nodded her head.
''Headmistress. Some people are here to see you. They are in your office now.'' Emeka said to the headmistress.
''What people?''
''They are parents.''
''OK. Thank you Emeka. Now run along to your class now. Alright Mr. Gbenga I employ you to deal with this.'' She pointed to the pupils.
''Alright ma'am.'' Said Mr. Gbenga who was dressed in a black plain trousers and a white cotton shirt.
''Hurry up with it so they can all go to their various classes. The rest of you teachers can head back to class now.'' The headmistress instructed as she left.
''Alright pupils. Where would you want it? On your palms or buttocks.'' Mr. Gbenga twiddled with the long cane.
''Can this maths teacher be any more annoying right now. I thought headmistress said we wouldn't be whooped.''Zara almost said out loud.
''I hear no response so I guess I'll have to decide that for you silly pupils then.'' He paced around as he hit the long cane on the ground.
''Sir can we do this later. The morning sun is here already and it's too hot.'' Rashed bluntly said.
''Then let's get this over with then because we aren't leaving this for later.'' Mr. Gbenga said as he struck the cane on the ground and it caused a thump that swooped a dusty amount of sand into Rashed's left eye.
''Ahhhhh! My eyeeeee.'' He quickly covered his left eye with his palm.
''Calm down. Let me help you get it out. I'm very sorry Rashed it was an accident.'' Mr. Gbenga realized what he did and rushed to him.
''I can't open it... I... Can't.'' He cried out. The pupils stood up on their feet now as they all sympathized with him.
''Ina son ruwa!'' He screamed.
''Someone get him water now!'' Mr. Gbenga yelled.
''Zan tafi.'' Rashed tried walking away.
''Wait. We have to get you to the First Aid room.
''No. Noooo. Noo.'' Rashed was running around in circles.
''Isn't he a drama queen and they said I was.'' Zara laughed out loud.
''Cut it off Zara. This isn't funny so don't make fun of him. He's in pain. Get a conscience for your sake.'' Uka said to her and Zara gave out a cruel smile.
''Alright let's go now. It's going to be fine. Calm down.'' Mr. Gbenga finally got a hold of him and led him to the First Aid's.
''The rest of you return to class now!'' The pupils scampered immediately.