Chapter Three | Questions and Answers

       "Good Morning, ma'am. Welcome to Vannah's," I greet the lady who comes in. She walks around the shop, her long blonde hair swaying behind her. "May I help you?" I ask after a while of her looking around.

       She shakes her head. "No, it's okay. I'm just looking around."

       I nod and walk back behind the cashier. I grab my phone from the counter and check for any messages. There's one unread text. I open it and it's from John. Of course he texted me, it's almost my lunch break anyway.

       From: John Hayes

       Lunch at the cafe? :)

       This is it. The chance to ask him about last Saturday. I exhale and send reply agreeing to lunch. I check the clock, 11:30 am. Thirty minutes to go. I look up and find the customer walking towards me. She hands me a pair of sandals. After she pays, I put it in the paper bag and hand it over to her. "Thank you for shopping," I say with a smile. "Please come again."

       She acknowledges me and goes out of the shop. I play with my phone to pass time and when the clock strikes noon, I peek into my mom's office and tell her I'm off to lunch. I walk out the shop and make my way to Moe's cafe. 

       The scent of coffee and pastries fill the air as I enter the cafe. I look around and find John sitting near the back. His face lights up as he sees me walk towards him. I try to smile but it feels a little forced. 

       "Hey, Claire," John says as I sit down in front of him. 

       "Hi," I answer, trying to be all casual like. Stop over reacting, I say to myself. What if you're wrong and it's all friendly? I mentally discard my thoughts for now and focus on John. Leaning forward on the table, I say, "I saw you with Hazel last Saturday." There, I let it out. I try to not look and act like a jealous girlfriend. After all, we've been dating for a week, to be exact. 

       He looks at me for a while, not saying anything. I wonder what he's thinking about. Probably about me being a jealous girlfriend or possessive. After what feels  like forever, John answers, "We were just hanging out."

       Right. "You were in the theatres."

       "Sam and Alice were there too."

       That's like an effing double date! Of course I wouldn't say that out loud, but if I could, I would. "Okay. . ." I say hesitantly.

       "Claire, we're just friends, okay? Stop—" 

       Someone puts a tray filled with frappes and pastries on our table which stops John from continuing. To be honest, I'm glad someone cut him off. I don't like people scolding me. It makes me feel bad. "Caramel frappe," I hear a deep voice say.

       I look up and find Dean giving us our food. I'll have to thank Dean for that perfect timing. He hands me my frappe and a ham & cheese croissant. Looks like John ordered for me. That's sweet of him. Dean gives me an encouraging look and smiles a little. I give him a sly smile and look at John who is completely dissolved in his pasta. 

       "Thanks for ordering for me," I say as Dean walks away. "How'd you know what I wanted?"

       He looks up and swallows his food. "I didn't."

       "Huh?

       "I asked Dean to get what you like. He's your best friend, right?"

       I nod. "Right." So he doesn't know what I usually get even if this is our third time here. I always order the same thing. Looks like he doesn't pay much attention.