The 17th of December, Sunday

Tyler wakes up for the fourteenth time, but this time it is actually morning. He is sweating and breathing heavily; he has had non-stop nightmares. He looks down on Lucas who is curled up against him, he looks so peaceful. His eyes water and he tightens his grip around the boy next to him.

"Ty? why are you not sleeping?" Lucas whispers without opening his eyes. Tyler dries his eyes and kisses him on his cheek; he doesn't want to answer. Lucas's eyes open and meet Tyler's eyes, he notices the tears.

"Don't cry, gorgeous. Did you have a nightmare?" he asks and sits up in the bed. Tyler explains to him that he kept having the same nightmare over and over again. Lucas asks him what it was about.

"I was laying here with you and then suddenly, I... my phone started ringing so I pick it up and it was my little sister Anna crying," he breaks into tears. "she kept repeating that mom and dad had been in a car accident on their way to our grandparents and that they were both... killed." Lucas is crying too and has his arms around the shaking boy next to him.

"As much as I would love you to stay here with me for the rest of the day, I think you should drive home and chill with your family," he dries Tyler's cheeks, "and tell them that you love them."

His mom is emptying her car for grocery bags as he parks behind her on the driveway. She looks up surprised and smiles at him - like she always does when she sees him, but this time Tyler smiles back at her.

"Hi mom, do you need help with the bags?" he asks and takes the bags from her hands not wanting to wait for her answer; she would insist on carrying them herself.

Dad is standing in the hallway; he is hanging some more Christmas decorations up on the walls.

"Hi son, what a lovely surprise!" he says cheerfully.

"Hi, um yeah I missed you guys so I thought I would come home today." He explains and can tell his parents confusion without even turning around to look at them.

"Has something happened, Tyler?" his mom asks as they get to the kitchen, he shakes his head, "or kind of... Lucas's parents died four months ago - he told me last night..." his eyes start to water again, "I guess I had forgotten for a while how much you three mean to me" his mom walks closer and embraces him. "I love you guys so much." He whispers and she kisses his ear.

"YOU'RE HOME?!" Anna shouts excited and joins in on the hug. He uses the rest of his day with them all, talking with his parents and playing with Anna in her room while she updates him on how it is going in her class – she always has something to tell. He texts back and forth with Lucas doing the day – he wants Lucas to meet his family soon. 

Don't forget to vote and comment! ;)

Love, Caroline <3