Through the Sands of Time - CHAPTER ONE

Cairo, Egypt
March of 2015

****

Egypt.

A country that held a history that captivated the world many times over, and so often, learn something that they had did thousands of years ago.

It had always been on Bailey's mind that she would eventually go and visit there, but that didn't stop the guilt that ate away at her and Bailey found herself feeling the emotional wounds of her mother's death open up.

She knew that there were those who wondered how anyone could grieve that long, thinking that she should let go of the past and move on. Insensitive, Bailey thought, but at the same time, she wondered just how anyone couldn't continue to mourn the loss of someone that was important to them.

She sighed, wrapping the long sweater around her small frame, heading to the window of the hotel that her and her friends were staying at and glanced up at the sky.

"I wish you were here, mom." Bailey whispered, staring at the brightest star she could find.

It was Sharon and Kelly who had convinced her to finally travel to Egypt, especially where it was the only place left on her mother's bucket list that she needed to visit, but unfortunately, her cancer had paid her a visit and this time, it didn't leave without her.

And as much as Bailey enjoyed Egypt and learning all there is to know about their past and present, she couldn't help but feel immense guilt, thinking she was taking something away from her mom when she was no longer able to go herself.

At least she's with me in spirit, a small voice somewhere in Bailey's mind echoed, and at least, that's what she hoped on. If there was a heaven, she imagined her mother walking beside her in spirit, wearing a flowing white gown, a halo glowing a inch above her head, and beautiful wings.

Marjorie DuMont definitely had the looks of an angel anyway, so it'd be fitting.

Bailey pulled up her knees to her chest, wrapped her arms around her legs, and plopped her head into her lap, staring out the window and watching the cars go by.

It was late.

They have an early start.

She should go to bed; as much as Bailey wanted to, sleep eluded her, her mind racing a mile a minute.

A sigh escaped past her mouth again and she rubbed at her eyes.

It wasn't like she felt tired, she did.

A frown formed as she contemplated whether or not she should go out for a walk, perhaps not the smartest of ideas considering she didn't know what parts to avoid, if it was safe, etcetera. A few moments pass by before she untangled from herself, went over to her bed, grabbed her backpack with the essentials, and her keycard, muttering to herself and then exited the room.

It was beginning to cool down, the temperature at a comforting level, Bailey deeply inhaled as she took the steps two at a time down to the sidewalk, wrapped her sweater tight around her and began walking, not really planning to see anything in particular.

At least with this she hoped she could calm her mind - and her guilt - a bit before returning back to the hotel.

She shouldn't have really been surprised to see that there were still quite a few people out and about, mostly tourists she noticed.

Reaching into her pocket, grabbed her headphones and music player, plugged it in, placing the ear-buds into each ear, and pressed play.

Bailey's head bobbed to the beat of Avenged Sevenfold's Hail to the King, silently singing along to it, continuing to walk aimlessly around Cairo, absentmindedly taking in all of the sites as she listened to her mixed playlist.

As time persisted, Bailey had begun to notice that less and less people were in the area that she was currently in, and she swallowed thickly, feeling her heart practically ram up her throat. It didn't help her anxiety either when her mind played through all of the, albeit ridiculous, worst-case-scenarios, causing her to feel even more panic.

Her pace slowed a bit, and whether or not it was because of her imagination, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched. Shoving her hands deep into the pockets of her sweater, eyes darting from one spot to the next, straining to see anyone, or anything, hiding out in the shadows.

And, though she saw no one lurking, dread filled her entire body as she shrug off her bag and clutched it to her chest, eyes darting all around her, no longer caring if anyone knew she was aware that someone was following her; if they were.

She let out a puff of breath, trying to calm her nerves, and her imagination from going overboard.

"Too late for that," Bailey muttered under her breath, gulping as the fight or flight scenario swooped down, and knowing which one she'd pick straight away, threw her bag over her shoulder and took off down the street.

Her lungs burned, heart pounding, muscles protesting as she ran, thinking of where she could hide in order to call a cab to take her back to the hotel.

Except, problem with that, is that she didn't know exactly where she was.

Well, that'd prove to be a problem.

For at the time being, however, she could just take side-streets before eventually ending back up at the hotel again.

It was a long shot, but a shot nonetheless.

Everything seemed to pass by in a blur as she rounded a corner, never noticing that there was a construction zone, somehow missing the sign and running into three wooden beams that were leaning against the portable staircase.

Tripping, Bailey found her self crashing into the ground, face-planting into the sidewalk, or was it the stairs, she wasn't paying attention. All she was aware of was the pain that exploded in her skull; patches of black splashed across her vision. Vaguely, it reminded her of an artist, except that artist was trapped in her mind, and they were using her eyes as a canvas.

A slight moan slipped past her parted lips and she cringed, feeling something warm and wet streaming down the back of her head, trailing down her neck.

She laid there, waiting for the pain to subside and for her vision to return, somewhat, normal before she even attempted to roll over.

Once she was able to, she carefully tried to sit up onto her knees, the task proved to be difficult as her vision swam, nausea returning.

Falling back onto the ground, breathing heavily, while mentally kicking herself for leaving the hotel and for allowing her imagination and anxiety get the better of her.

Regret overtook everything as, her last gander at getting to her feet was pointless as she was beginning to be shrouded in darkness, her old friend, and before long, she closed her eyes, succumbing to the abyss.