Disappointment (ch 21)

Lately, I have been getting less and less votes and feedback for my book and I'm getting a little nervous. Do you like it, or not?

-R

"I'm sorry; I'm not this Jesse person you were expecting." The middle aged man says while softly closing the door behind him.

I stay silent, slightly embarrassed for thinking that Jesse would ever come back to see me. He wouldn’t come back, he needs time. I think.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Sheriff Parks from the local police department here in Maplefield." He says.

"That's nice Sheriff Parks, but if you don't mind me asking, what are you doing here? My rep sheet can't be that bad..." I say while racking my brain over, trying to remember the last time I did something that involved the police.

During the awkward moment in which we both stay silent, I recall the last time I was involved with the law.

It was 4 months ago, though it felt like much more. My parents and I got into another fight about my grades slightly slipping. Any slip up was considered a grand mistake in which I would become punished as if I were killing animals during my spare time.

I was angry and disappointed in myself for not standing up to them. I had always lived my life knowing that accusing my parents of being wrong was a big error, but I knew it wasn't supposed to be like this all the time. I was supposed to have a voice which was why I was born with one.

I shake my head to escape from my loud thoughts and bring my attention back to the Sheriff in front of me.

"I need to talk to you about the Mandes." He blurts out.

"I don't know what you’re talking about.” I reply defensively, looking the suspicious officer up and down.

“Jesse isn't the only one who fought for you Jessica." He tells me.

"I know. I'm not stupid. The basement at home isn't locked up for nothing."

“We need to get them out of there before it's too late." He yells, his patience running low.

“They’re already dead; I saw it with my own eyes." I say feeling numb.

Why am I saying this? It doesn’t make sense.

There are people being tortured in my basement?

“You and the rest of the people in this town are playing a really risky game. I could arrest all of you if I wanted to." He says in anger and… Disappointment?

"Then why don't you?" I ask him, letting out a long sigh.

The man is quiet for a few moments, staring off into the distance. I look at him questioningly; ready to ask him what's wrong, when he finally speaks.

"I see you aren't really in the mood for a conversation right now. I'll leave you to catch up on your well deserved rest." He says while walking back to the door he entered.

I watch his retreating figure until the door obstructs my view and I am left staring at a wooden rectangle. I close my eyes, enjoying then silence as I deeply breathe in and out.

"Just remember Jessica, I will get you to confess." Says a voice breaking the silence.

My head snaps up to the source, but I see nothing that would be able to talk.

------

Most of my last day in the hospital is spent playing with a pack of cards a kind nurse gave me when she saw I was alone.