Chapter 2

The wonder of magic that dazzled Harry was as plain to read from the smile on his face as the scar upon his forehead.

The little boat rocked along gently under its own power as he, Hermione and Neville floated across the lake towards the grandest castle that he'd ever imagined. Dozens of towers soared into the sky while down lower, lights shone brightly out of hundreds of windows. Across to the right, a flock of small lights twinkled about as the faeries, according to Hermione, played their way from one end of the great lawn to the other.

"Watch yer heads, now," Hagrid's great voice boomed across at the flotilla of boats approached a cave in the rocks below the castle.

Instinctively, Harry ducked, although he didn't need to. The ceiling of the cavern passed by far over his head. In fact, as far as Harry could tell, the only one who did in fact need to duck was Hagrid himself.

Sticking close to his giant friend's tailcoats, Harry, flanked by Hermione and Neville were led up through tunnels of rock and dozens of stairs to suddenly appear in a small room.

"The first years, Professor McGonagall, ma'am," Hagrid boomed.

As Hagrid stepped off towards a door on the far side of the room, Harry found himself facing a slender, black-clad witch. Her steel grey hair was pulled tight into a bun, emphasising a stern visage that screamed that this was someone not to get on the wrong side of. Her sharp blue eyes roamed over the students in front of her and every so often, her lips would narrow in displeasure. Harry gulped as the sight of his unruly hair caused one such reaction.

"As I'm sure you heard Hagrid say, my name is Professor McGonagall. Welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Very soon now, you will follow me through that door where you will be sorted into your House. Each House will be like your family while you're here. You'll sleep in your House dormitories, eat at your House table, earn points for your House and any rule-breaking will result in loss of points for your House.

There are four Houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each one has its own noble qualities and I'd encourage you all to strive to be a credit to the House into which you are sorted. I will return in a few minutes, as soon as the rest of the school is seated and lead you in for your sorting."

With one last look and a barely concealed sigh, Professor McGonagall raked her eyes across the few who had caused her mouth to thin earlier before stepping from the room.

"What do you think we're going to have to do in the sorting, Harry?" Hermione asked anxiously the second the door closed.

Before he could even think about forming a reply, a gangly red-headed boy rushed forward, almost knocking Neville over in his haste.

"Harry? Harry Potter? Are you really him?" the boy asked, his eyes fixated on Harry's forehead.

Not quite knowing what to think, Harry glanced quickly at Neville and Hermione before giving a small nod.

"Ron, Ron Weasley," the boy said, thrusting a hand out at him. "Nice to meet you, Harry."

Harry carefully took the proffered hand. "Um, yeah, hi, nice to meet you, too, Ron."

Just as Ron opened him mouth to respond, both he and Neville found themselves knocked to the ground. The slim blonde haired boy the he'd met in Madam Malkin's had appeared in front of Harry. Two large boys that could give Dudley a run for his money in terms of bulk, flanked him.

"Malfoy, Draco Malfoy. It's a pleasure to meet you, Potter," the boy sneered, hand outstretched.

Harry stared. The curl of the lip, the clear disdain that this boy showed towards both Neville and Ron, not to mention the once over of Hermione that stated that merely being in the company that she was made her so far beneath him, that she wasn't even worth being acknowledged, set Harry's teeth on edge.