Chapter 21

Life inside the castle was far too busy over the next three weeks for anyone to even think about the world beyond Hogwarts.

The final week of lessons, much like the week before it, was pure revision. Every teacher in every subject piled their classes high with homework, both written and practical, essays and pop-quizzes. Professors Flitwick, McGonagall and Sprout also made sure to include time each lesson for their students to have any questions that they needed answering.

And then came the exams.

Every day for the next two weeks, saw the first years bombarded with written and practical exams. Professor Sinistra, of course, held her Astronomy exams over an afternoon and evening.

Every waking moment that they weren't being tested, Harry, Hermione and Neville found their noses buried in books or else practising their spells in one of the unused classrooms. Occasionally, they met up with the rest of their study group, but found that they revised best when it was just the three of them.

Hermione insisted on having one of the two boys ask her every revision question at the back of each chapter in their text books the evening before each exam. While this annoyed Harry the first time she'd corralled him into the chore, he soon came to realise that it was one of the best ways to prepare for the subject.

Potions, as Harry'd expected, was a complete disaster. Both he and Neville were hissed at almost the entire time that they were working at their cauldron by Professor Snape. Afterwards, Harry judged that, while the potions that they created weren't the deep blue that they were supposed to be, his mid-range blue vial and Neville's light blue potion should be enough to see both of them pass. Assuming, of course, that Snape was willing to be fair.

The day after the first years' had finished their exams, when the fourth years and above were still being tested, their results were posted.

Hermione, as was only to be expected, had aced every test and was awarded as being the top student for every subject for their year level.

Harry, when he saw his results, almost fainted in astonishment. He'd missed out on the being the top of Defence Against the Dark Arts by a mere half a point. That DADA Outstanding, was joined by O's in Transfiguration, Charms and Herbology; Exceeds Expectations in Astronomy and History of Magic and most unbelievable of all, an Acceptable in Potions.

Neville, too, had done exceptionally well, managing a pass in potions, an O in Herbology and Exceeds in everything else.

The three of them celebrated by packing up a picnic and heading to the shore of the Black Lake where they were eventually joined by most of their study group. The fun and games lasted until nearly curfew, only pausing long enough for Lil, Susan, Hannah and Sally-Ann to duck off to find more food and extra jugs of pumpkin juice.

-oOoOo-

There was a palpable air of excitement rampant in the Great Hall when Harry entered. The final day of the long three weeks of exams had finally arrived. Just that morning, the seventh years had had their last NEWT exam in the Great Hall, while the sixth years were completing their final test down in the potions dungeon.

Everywhere Harry looked, students sported identical grins to the one he himself wore. The tables were already laden with delectable delights that Hogwarts had conjured to help with the celebration. Every table was surrounded by students from a multitude of Houses as the party atmosphere prevailed.

Here and there, excited conversations were punctuated by the groans of students, who, after a comparison of answers with their fellow classmates, suddenly realised that they hadn't done as well as they would have liked on their final exams.