Chapter 12

The one thing that Harry had been dreading for three days happened the morning that the Hogwarts Express was due to take the vast majority of students home for Christmas.

"Look Harry, Hedwig!"

Harry looked up to where Hermione was pointing at the beautiful snowy owl flying through the Great Hall along with all of the other post owls. Her great wings brought her gliding gracefully along the Gryffindor table to land precisely between the plates and bowls directly in front of him.

"Hello there, girl," Harry murmured, offering her a piece of his bacon.

After giving a soft hoot, she wolfed down her treat and extended her leg. As quickly as he could, Harry untied the small package and letter and stuffed them into his pocket. A small, affectionate nip on the finger later, Hedwig took off to return to the Owlery and a well-deserved nap.

"What was that, Harry?" Hermione asked curiously as she tried to nudge his arm aside to give her access to his pocket.

"Nothing, Hermione."

A frown and a pout indicated her unwillingness to believe him. "It sure didn't look like 'nothing', Harry."

"I hope I haven't forgotten anything," Neville piped up from where he sat across the table from them, "the Express leaves in half an hour and my Gran'll kill me if I don't have everything I'm supposed to."

"Half an hour?" Hermione yelped, looking at her watch. "I better go get my trunk."

With that, she hopped up off of the bench and raced out of the Hall.

"Thanks, Nev, I didn't think anything was going to distract her," Harry said gratefully.

"No worries, Harry," Neville smiled. "So, now that she's gone, what's in the package?"

Harry merely groaned and let his head fall forward to bang against the table.

-oOoOo-

The instant that Hermione, Neville and all of the rest of his classmates that were going home had boarded the carriages to take them to Hogsmeade Station, Harry raced up to his dormitory. At first he'd considered going down to his cupboard for some privacy, but with only Ron left of the first year Gryffindor boys apart from himself, he figured that the dormitory was private enough.

Flopping down on to his bed, he took the package and letter from his pocket. Opening the letter first, he read as quickly as he could.

Dear Mister Potter,

Please find enclosed Founding Fathers: The Life and Times of the Hogwarts Four by Ephaniah Davies and The Complete Guide to Magical Flora of Great Britain by Angela Roustabout. Although Flourish and Blotts do not normally stock or sell quills, I have, as a special favour to you, purchased and included a quill of the red-tailed kite.

To resize the books to their proper dimension, simply tap the package twice with your wand.

Your Gringotts bank note was precisely the correct method of ensuring a quick, easy payment and I would encourage you to utilise this method for all future purchases.

For you convenience, I have taken the liberty of including a copy of the current books held by Flourish and Blotts for purchase.

Thanking you for your business,

Robert Flourish.

Taking out his wand, Harry carefully tapped the brown paper package twice and watched wide-eyed as it grew nearly five times in size.