Chapter 6

D

If there was one thing that Harry had learnt since starting at Hogwarts, it was that no matter how hard anyone tried, secrets just couldn't be kept secret.

Oliver Wood, and to some extent, Professor McGonagall, had insisted that Harry's inclusion on the Gryffindor quidditch team should be kept secret. But before the next evening's dinner had even started, nearly the entire school knew.

First had come Fred and George Weasley. Ron's twin brothers ambushed Harry in the corridors between lessons to drape arms across his shoulders and steer him in to the closest empty classroom.

"Harry, our newest, dearest friend," the first one said seriously.

"It's come to our attention," the second one continued

"That you fancy yourself as a quidditch prodigy ..."

"And the way that our esteemed leader ..."

"Our fanatical leader, I believe you mean, my dear brother," the first twin corrected.

"Quite, correct, brother mine, our fanatical leader, has been extolling your flying skills ..."

"Then you must be exactly that," their speech concluded with a mad grin.

Harry swivelled his head backwards and forwards between the two identical redheads. There was no way that he could tell which one was which.

"What ... what are you two talking about?" he tried, attempting to hide his new Seeker status.

The twins shared an amused look between them before simultaneously patting him on his shoulders.

"Harry, there's no need to deny it to us," he was told.

"We're on the team, too."

"We're the Gryffindor beaters."

"Oh," Harry exclaimed. "It's just that Wood told me not to say anything."

"Don't you worry about Oliver. He can get a bit one track minded, if you know what I mean," the twin on the right explained.

"Anyway, gotta go, Harry, History of Magic, you know," the other twin explained.

"Yes, it's time for our nap."

And with that, they were gone.

But they weren't the last to approach him. The next were the three Gryffindor chasers – Alicia Spinnett, Angelina Johnson and Katie Bell – all pulling him aside to congratulate him on making the team. And once the quidditch team knew, the whole of Gryffindor House wasn't far behind.

The rumour quickly spread to the other three houses. A first year making the team was something that just couldn't be kept secret. Of course, Harry found himself even more the centre of attention than he had been. Everyone stopped to point at him, or stare at him or to whisper behind their hands as he passed.

If there were any that still didn't know about his accomplishment, then the six post owl carrying a long thin package unexpectedly arriving over dinner told the tale to all. It may have been wrapped and the note may have insisted that it not be opened until safe in the dormitories away from prying eyes, but a broomstick will always be recognised by its distinctive shape.

The only fact that Harry (along with Neville, Ron, Dean and Seamus) was able to keep secret for that night was the make of the broom. A Nimbus Two Thousand – one of the best brooms that there were for quidditch.

-oOoOo-

"Harry, wait!"

Hermione watched as the black haired boy vanished through the dungeon door as fast as he could.