Chapter 2: I Have to Go

"Do we have to have lockers right next to each other?" Emmett whined as his sister's put their stuff away.

"Yes, because you tend to forget stuff," Alyssa sighed handing Emmett his Enhancing Binder that he had left in the living room.

"Thanks," Emmett mumbled shoving the binder into his locker. Alyssa smiled before her and Amanda walked away to find the room where they would have cognate training.

"Emmett what do you have first?" Esta asked sneaking up behind him. Esta had black hair like her mother, minus the sliver tips and her dads periwinkle eyes.

"Um, metaphysics." He replied.

"Same here, do you want to walk together?" She asked. He nodded and they started walking down the hallway. They were cousins, but everybody looked at them like they were dating as they walked towards the metaphysics rooms.

"Who is your mentor?" Emmett asked to break the silence that had fallen between them.

"Sir Heebler, you?"

"Sir Faxon, same professor my Mom had years ago."

"That should be interesting—" Esta started, before getting cut off when Emmett grabbed her arm.

"Watch out!" Emmett called pulling Esta to the side as a boy came charging down the hallway, straight at her. A few students snickered as Emmett and Esta stumbled to the side of the hallway.

"I really hope that my ability will be Hydrokinesis," She mumbled as they regained their balance and continued their walk down the hallway.

"Why?" Emmett questions. Since he already had an ability, he didn't know what it was like to wonder and about and hope for a certain ability. He had manifested before he had clearly grasped the understanding of abilities in society.

"Because then I could blast people with water if they get in my way," She mumbled.

"Yeah, I guess," Emmett mumbled as they found their classrooms. He said a silent prayer before entering into Sir Faxon's room, hoping that he would be treated like a normal student, not like the child of the infamous Sophie and Fitz Vacker.

On the other side of the school, Amanda and Alyssa had just found their cognate training room.

"Hi girls!" Sophie smiled kissing her daughter's heads.

"Hi Mom!" Alyssa smiled.

"We just need to wait for you father," Sophie smiled as the girls took a seat in their chairs across from her, an open chair left next to her for Fitz to occupy.

How did they let our parents be our teachers? Amanda transmitted to Alyssa, watching their mom flip through a few papers on the table.

"Because we are the only cognates that were willing to teach you," Sophie answered, not even glancing up from their papers.

"How?" Amanda gaped.

"Honey, your transmissions are louder than you think, and telepath within one-hundred yards would have probably been able to hear that if their mind had been open," Sophie responded, leaning over the table to push piece of Amanda's dark brown hair behind her ear

"I thought you could only transmit directly into somebody's mind," Alyssa explained.

"That is typically how it works, but some telepaths can broadcast to a wider audience, so they have to learn to control their transmitting to one specific person or group," Sophie replied just as the door clicked and Fitz appeared in the room.

"The girls were just asking why we had to be their teachers," Sophie filled him in. He nodded and sat down on the teachers desk.

"Because we can," He teased. The girls rolled their eyes and their parents started talking to them about cognate requirements.