Chapter 8

Star woke up to the blazing sun on her face. She dreaded tomorrow. It would be her last day on Earth. Perhaps she should inform Janna. It would only be appropriate as they were friends. And maybe Marco too.

The Mewman princess stretched and headed for the bathroom. She stunk of sugar. Instead of sweat, Mewman release sugar scents. And since she hasn't taken a bath for two days....well....she smelled like a candy store.

Locking the door, Star stripped of her green dress and hopped into the shower. The feeling of warm, refreshing water felt amazing. Star took her sweet time. Using every one of her products.

Turning off the water, she dried herself off and magic a new dress. The old one was immediately sent to the basement of the castle-the knight of the wash. Her new dress was purple with a silver belt. The sleeves reached until her wrists and it ended up until her knees. At her back, there was a yellow, glittering star.

She dried her hair and left it to dry more before she styled it to a French braid. Grabbing her wand, Star walked out of the bathroom feeling refreshed. After hanging her towel to dry, she ran back to her room.

Unknown to the princess, a certain Spanish human was looking at her with concern. Star was always eager for an adventure. So why did she run up those stairs as if a crowd of zombies were after her? Silently, Marco got up and went to said princess's room.

He knocked.

No answer.

Again.

Nothing.

Getting tired, Marco opened the door only to duck at a wayward spell flying his way. He dusted himself off and stood up. Star seemed to have been so busy, she didn't notice the extra company.

"Ugh!" Star groaned out in frustration. "Who the cornthief made this!"

Glossaryck floated next to her, taking a look at the spell his student was stuck up on. "Ah, yes. The Poison Ivy sour bells. It was made by Luna the Child."

"Luna the Child?" Marco echoed.

The two magical beings looked at the earthling with surprise. Star closed her Book of Spells and Glossaryck floated behind her. Marco looked at them with suspicion. If he wasn't sure they were hiding something from him before, he sure was now.

"What's going on?" He asked.

Star fiddled with her wand, not wanting to look Marco in the eyes. "I should be asking you that. Why aren't you with Jackie?"

Marco crossed his arms, "She's busy visiting a family member across town. But besides the point. What are you hiding from me?"

Star froze. She was so busy about the war and the death of her mother that she completely forgot about Marco. He was her best friend. Well, maybe not best anymore.

"How long?"

"What?" Marco asked.

"How long has it been since we last hung out?"

Marco scratched his head trying to recall, "three weeks? A month give or take."

Star nodded, "yeah, well....a lot can happen in a month or so.."

Star looked at Glossaryck for help. The blue man shook his head and made a give gesture. She nodded and looked at Marco straight at the eye. She mustered up all her courage and said, "I'm leaving tomorrow. For Mewni. And I'm never coming back."

It was so silent, you could've heard a pin drop.

Marco finally processed the words and to Star, it felt like he took forever. "Wait, what? Like you're never ever coming back?"

Star gave a little laugh." Never ever! Never gonna let you go...." she trailed off upon noticing Marco's annoyed face.

"Star, now is not the time to be singing K-pop."

"So you've heard it before." Star smirked.

"Don't go changing the subject! Why are you leaving?" Marco asked desperately. This was his best friend! And she was leaving him. Probably forever.

Star sighed. "There...has been some....problems in Mewni. And I'm being called back because of it."

Marco tilted his head. "But shouldn't your mom take care of it? You're not the queen."

Star felt tears pool her eyes, "mom, she...she's....gone Marco."

That was all it took. Star dropped down and openly sobbed. All the tears she held back was now bursting out like a geyser. Marco stood frozen, again, in front of her. Queen Moon is dead? But when, how, why?

He must've said the last part out loud since Star answered him. "It happened a few weeks ago. A couple days after you and Jackie started dating, my dad informed me that my mom was killed."

"Killed? By who?"

"Monsters! By Toffee!" Star glared at the floor as if she was seeing Toffee.

"I know not all monsters are evil but Toffee and all his allies are going to pay! I will avenge my mother and grandmother. Both who were killed by the same monster! Not to mention a lot of the populace that died because of him!"

Marco kneeled besides Star.

"He even killed Tom's parents!"

Marco felt his jaw drop. He always thought it was impossible to kill a demon. Well, Tom's dad isn't a demon, but still. So that would mean that Tom is the new king of the Underworld.

Star's sobs brought him back from his thoughts.

Marco placed a hand on Star's shoulder. She grabbed his hand and continued to sob. Glossaryck was right, Marco mused. Star needed him. And he wasn't there. But he is now, and he will be there to help her. That's what friends are for.

"You'll be fine Star. We're all here for you."

Star wiped her face. "Yeah. I know."

"Is that all?"

"Hmm?"

"Is that all you have been hiding?"

Star didn't reply.

"Star. You can trust me."

"Marco. During war countless of money are spent on weapons and armors. And so are nature resources, right?"

Marco nodded, not sure where this was going.

"So when you're in an ally with some other kingdoms, they would aid you in exchange for a price."

"That would seem fair."

"But what if you couldn't give material products. The other solution would be the most common one among all royalty: arranged marriage."

Star gripped his hand tighter. "Marco in a few days I'm getting married."

The human boy was scared to ask. But thankfully, or maybe unfortunately, Satr knew that. She turned to him with a blank expression. Her hearts cracked.

"To King Tom of the Underworld."

A.N. Merry Christmas! I hope you all liked this chapter. If any of you likes K-pop, which group do you like best and your bias. Mine is Got7 and Jinyoung and I would like to know yours. Until next time bye!