Chapter 14

~Flashback~

"Now Toffee, don't forget! Mother and I love you. And if you ever need anything, you know where home is." His father said.

Toffee resisted to roll his eyes, "Yes father. I know. And you and mother have nothing to worry about. I am more than capable of taking care of myself."

"Once a baby always a baby. And you will always be mine." His mother said softly.

"Caramel, he's not a baby anymore." His father sighed.

"Oh hush! Now, I've packed you some flies and are you sure you have everything you need?"

Toffee smiled lightly, "Yes mother."

"You can't blame us for worrying Toffee. You are leaving the place where our being is safe from those Mewmans! And who knows if you'll ever come back." Caramel cried.

"I am aware, but the job possibilities at the kingdom pays higher and I can afford to give you and father a better place to be comfortable." Toffee said.

"We don't care! All we want is for you to be safe!"

"Mother please. You and father done enough for me. As your only child, I want to make sure that you two are comfortable and spend the rest of your years relaxing. I'll take care of everything."

Caramel's eyes watered, "oh Toffee! How could we be so lucky to have you."

Toffee smile gently, "I will be back next month. Hopefully with some money to support all of us."

"You're a smart lizard, Toffee." His father said, "I'm confident you'll find a way."

"Well, I'm off!"

~With Moon~

"Head up high and no, don't look at the ceiling. Walk with grace and footsteps light." The instructor said, not looking at Moon.

"Mrs. Evermore, is mom home yet?" Moon asked.

"No Princess Moon, your mother is at a meeting and she won't be back until dinner."

"I see." Moon smiled.

     With her wand at hand, she cast an illusion spell and slipped out of her lesson. She ran giggling ignoring the knowing and scolding looks of the maids and butlers. She never liked having those lessons anyway. She considered them dull and boring. And she's only 14! Might as well have fun with her young youth.

"Princess Moon! This is the nth time you dare skipped from my lesson!" Her instructor's voice shouted from the hallway. "This is going straight to your mother. Again! For the love of Mewni! I hope when you grow up, your daughter will be just like you!"

Moon scoffed. Not believing whatever came out of her instructor's mouth. As if her daughter will be like her.

Taking a turn, she barged into a supply closet and closed the door. Coving half her face with her hands to silence her heavy breathing, she stood still until she heard rushed footsteps passed by. Smirking, she slid down and sat Indian style on the floor. All she wanted was a little bit of freedom, was that so much to ask?

The blue haired princess looked around. Surrounding her were old, near worn out brooms and some mops and buckets. A few rags were stacked on top of each other by 5e door. In complete honestly, it sticks. Deciding that it was time to leave, Moon got up. Before she turned the knob, she saw a dirty mirror. Strange. What was a mirror doing in a supply closet?

Taking a step forward, Moon touched the mirror. Dirty was understatement. It was completely filthy. Her fingers looked as if she were drawing on dirt for hours. Moon rubbed her hands. Looking back at the mirror, it seemed as if there was something behind it. Or she just saw a bit too much Detective Conan. Not wasting time, she tried to pull the mirror. No avail. Push. Nothing.

A spider fell on her arm.

"Spider!"

The mirror disappeared, revealing a hole that seemed to go somewhere.

"Princess Moon!"

Better go then.

As soon as she was inside, the mirror re-appeared and immediately she heard her instructor's voice.

"Princess Moon? Darn that child!"

Moon narrowed her eyes. She is not a child! Shaking her head, the princess down walked the path. It wasn't long but her feet were starting to hurt. Probably due to the fact she ran away from her instructor. On heels.

The entire hall was dimly lit with glowing butterfly lanterns. She could see it was dirty but nothing she can't handle. The bright light at the end of the tunnel was growing bigger and bigger until she was in front of it.

It seemed to be a portal. To the Butterfly Royal Garden? Moon shrugged and stepped into the portal. The young princess only went to the garden when it was time for one her nature classes. Looking around, she noticed how she took the beauty of the garden for granted. It was breathtaking.

The smell of flowers blooming, the gentle breeze of the wind, the chirping of the birds, the yelling of a man...what?

Moon walked cautiously to the source. It was their gardener. And a monster! The young princess gripped her wand tightly, ready to blast the lizard man.

"Honestly Toffee! Can you do nothing right?! I have no idea why it was a good idea to hire you! I mean a monster? In the royal palace? The queen will have my head!" The gardener continued to rant not noticing the blue haired princess. Toffee lifted his eyes from the ground once he scented her.

Eyes widen from shock, he froze before kneeling.

The gardener laughed, "is this some sort of monster thing? Kneeling before Mewmans?"

"Gardener Will, is everything alright?" Princess Moon asked, effectively scaring the man.

"Princess Moon!", the gardener basically fell flat on his face.

"Its alright, you may stand." Moon paused, and hesitantly continued, "you too mister lizard."

Shocking both of them, they stayed in their place.

"Y-your highness, he is a monster! He most likely killed thousands of Mewman, are you sure you want to let him stand in your presence?"

"Are you doubting my decision?"

"Of course not!"

Moon looked at Toffee. Something about the lizard pulled her to him. Maybe it was because he screamed danger or maybe it was curiosity. Who knows.