Chapter 8: Control

Song: The weight by The Band. I just love classic rock (don't judge me).

Theo interrupted him, "I'm sorry sir, but what exactly are you talking about?"

"The inheritance of my powers." He said simply.

Sitting up in his chair a little straighter, Harry asked, "All due respect sir, but who are you?"

"Merlin, of course."

"Merlin?" Echoed Harry, Draco, and Theo at the same time.

Theo had a confused look on his face, "B-but Merlin's dead."

Laying further back in his comfy chair Merlin added, "So are you. This is my own little corner of heaven." He gestured around the room, "In order for you three to meet with me your spirits had to be ripped from your bodies and brought up here. Don't worry, it's not permanent."

"Ripped from my body," muttered Theo a little dazed from the thought of it.

"Correct me if I'm wrong," began Merlin, "but you three do want to split the power."

Harry politely asked, "Do you mind if the three of us talk among ourselves for a moment?"

"Go ahead."

Theo and Draco turned towards Harry anticipating what he might say.

"I'm a little a taken back right now, but we have to do something." Insisted Harry.

"Harry," Theo found what was to come was somewhat hard to say, "Dumbledore meant for this to be yours, he left it to you. It would be wrong for Draco and me to intervene." Theo would've liked to have had a part of Merlin's magic, but he thought it would be wrong of him to take what was clearly meant for Harry.

 "Yeah, what he said." Remarked Draco, not wanting to have a heart to heart with Potter.

Harry understood where he was coming from, but in his mind he was thinking more strategically. "Merlin said that with three people the power would be safe and equally spread out. Dumbledore did intend for me to take it on, but this makes so much more sense. It's logical, given the opportunity. Obviously, this has to take root in somebody or it could wind up in the wrong hands. Plus it's probably not possible to destroy, Dumbledore would've done so if it was."

From behind his desk, Merlin said, "I don't mean to eavesdrop. My power... I mean my magic, was apart of my soul. One's magic is intertwined with their soul, therefore it is impossible to destroy. I was on my death bed when someone separated the two, tragic experience."

Theo thought out loud, "Interesting."

"We'll do it," announced Draco.

The other two agreed with Draco's decision.

"Good," said Merlin with a smile, "I feel obligated to tell you that time works differently here. What seems like a thirty-minute meeting here, could be a week back on Earth."

The three nodded in understatement as if all of this madness actually made some kind of sense. They were meeting with Merlin for Merlin's sake.

"Then, so be it." Said Merlin, ending the conversation. He stood up and shouted a spell of sorts.

Draco, Harry, and Theo saw a blinding light and had to close their eyes to shield themselves from it. When they opened their eyes they were back in the office space they were previously in.

Harry looked down at his watch, "Merlin was right about the time jump."

"Is this it?" Asked Theo, hoping that they were done with their little adventure.