TWO

October 19, 2015

October 19, 2015. Monday. 07:34 am.
• • •

A blueberry squished between my teeth and juice oozed as I chomped down on a bowl of fruit as I waited for my coffee to heat up.

The TV hummed lightly in the background recapping news from the night before, not catching anything until a woman appeared on screen in a live feed. Kahina Ziri had lost her family during the attack, and she was one of many spearheading the trial to question Superman.

The attack itself was a few months back that left civilians dead in Khandaq. Superman had entered their airspace, and he was prohibited too. The worst part is that everyone assumes that Superman knew he wasn't allowed.

There's a hearing going on, and I wished not to follow it because watching them tear apart the one man who has saved countless people's lives was unsettling. Though he should be praised, it's wholly justified as of why people are so angry. Just who does he answer to and how does he choose who to save?

Intrigued, I turned the volume up.

"They say that Superman is a hero. Okay, but whose hero?"

"If Superman were here right now, what would you want to say to him?" A reporter asked her.

"That my family, too, had dreams. To look him in his eye and ask him how he decides which lives count. And which ones do not."

• • •
October 19, Monday. 08:50 am.
• • •

When I arrived at The Planet, my purse was slipping off my shoulder threatening to jerk to my elbow violently. I balanced a stack of reports and notes, three coffees from Starbucks in a tray on top of that, and the Danish Lois had requested. When I had called Jimmy on my way in asking if he wanted coffee since I realized I hadn't eaten enough breakfast, I didn't count my small bowl of oats and blueberries; this is not what I had in mind.

Jimmy had raddled off his order only for Lois to step in and say I was 'the greatest for getting her a cherry Danish.' The other two drinks were for Clark and Perry. I was successfully juggling my load and waiting for the elevator tapping my foot in impatience.

"Annie?" Clark looked down at me shocked.

"Oh, hey, Clark," I responded with a smile and an odd head nod. I couldn't do much there were coffee tops glued to my chin.

"Here, let me help," he said taking the tray.

I sighed in relief, "Thank you so much. I was starting to get a strain in my neck," Clark smiled down at me his glasses sliding from his nose only for his long finger to push them back up. He seemed to notice the large stack of folders in my arms but didn't know how to ask about them.