NINE

October 31st, 2015

October 31st, 2015. Saturday night. 10:38 pm.
• • •

My chest aches with the thought of breaking the news to Clark. I've never cheated on anybody before and my stomach was churning with guilt. Hands shook with every footstep in the hall and my eyes stayed trained on the door, waiting for his knock.

Clark had promised me that he'd be over as soon as he could, given the late hour I had called, I expected him to be late, but not to arrive two hours after.

When Clark answered his phone, I had to stop myself from telling him right then and there. Now, as I waited for him, my heart beat loudly in my chest, and I tried to watch TV to calm my nerves, but what I saw did precisely the opposite.

Somebody had found my address, and the paparazzi had taken video of Superman arriving on my balcony. They even had the footage of him leaving hours later and as the same nasal sounding woman from 'E! News' began to speak about it. There was a knock on my door.

Startled, I muted and pressed last on my remote, and a movie popped onscreen. I shook out my hands and walked over, plastering a smile on, I swung the door open, my fingers still clenched tightly around the remote.

"Hey, Annie," Clark smiled brightly at me.

"Hey," I stepped aside and let him in.

"Sorry, I'm arriving later than I had said-,"

"It's ok," I cut him off without meaning to, "Um, do you want anything to drink? Water?"

Clark studied me for a moment. His eyebrow quirked up, "Annie, why did you call me so late? Is everything alright?"

"I'm so sorry! I know we've been on a few dates, and I've always liked you, I have!" I blurted, and by the look on Clark's face, he was confused.

"Annie, what are you talking about?" He asked taking a few steps towards me.

"No," I held out my hand to stop him,"I-I cheated on you,"

The tv flipped back to the segment on 'E!News' and Clark's blue eyes watched it. His jaw was tight and I couldn't look at him anymore.

"I slept with Superman,"

It came out so loud that it echoed in the quiet room. I oddly felt lighter and stared down at my sock-clad feet. The air was thick with anticipation while I waited to hear what he had to say. Hesitantly, I brought my eyes up to meet his, but they were different.

"Clark, I'm so sorry,"

Where a scowl should have been was only raised eyebrows as he laughed taken entirely aback I stared at him, anger bubbling up. I went to chastise him for laughing at me, but something baffling happened and I was lost for words.