FOURTEEN

November 6th, Friday, 2015

November 6th, Friday, 2015. 4:35pm.
• • •

Sounds of fingernails clicking against a plastic keyboard filled the kitchen. The bitter taste of hazelnut from my coffee lingered on my lips as my tongue darted between them. Lately, Perry has been letting us go home early. Sometimes it's on a Friday or a Tuesday. It's never the same day every week so we can never plan ahead of time.

One thing I knew for sure was that this article was going to be my best yet. I had stayed up late last night hoping to get an explanation from Clark but he never called or texted so I channeled my anger into my work and I was now editing my 1,000 word article. A ping alerted me to a new email and in the corner of my screen it popped up.

Frowning, I clicked to the browser and searched for the Lex Corp phone number. This was the second email I received from them. I dialed the number and waited.

"Lex Corp. May I ask who is calling?"

"Hello, my name is Annie Westmore and I've received multiple requests to an inter-,"

"Oh! Ms. Westmore, I'm glad you're calling Mr. Luthor just walked in,"

I heard the dull thud as the phone was passed off and a few whispers before Mr. Luther's oddly cheery voice was in my ear.

"Ah, Ms. Westmore. It's a privilege to speak to you. When would you like to come in for the interview?"

"I'm sorry, but I was calling you to let you know you can stop emailing me. I'm not giving interviews about my relationship. It's a private matter,"

There was an intake of breath and I felt like I could see his face grow cold, "It's not a private matter when you're sleeping with a God."

His voice was low and cold, an odd sense of dread wafted over my skin and I swallowed. For such a small unassuming man he knew how to let others know he was not happy. His odd choice of words had me puzzled. A memory flashed of a report of that man spray painting 'FALSE GOD' onto the chest of the Superman monument and I wondered for a brief moment if Luthor put him up to it, the moment was brief but lingered. Anger pushed past my the shock and I quickly regained my composure.

"Excuse me-,"

There was a click, "Bye to you, too,"

A key was in the door and Clark entered holding a large paper bag with flowers visible. I sighed and looked at him as he shut the door and turned to me, he had half a smile on his face and I hated how dejected he looked.

"I'm sorry,"

"For what? Standing me up at dinner last night or not speaking to me today at work?"