SEVENTEEN

Tuesday

Tuesday. November 10th, 2015

• • •

"Martha?"

Clark's mother was standing before me, and once I got over my shock, I quickly ushered her inside, closing my robe. Taking her jacket and stifling a yawn, I led her to the kitchen. We were both sitting in silence while the coffee maker gurgled. Only when I had given her cup to her, and she took a sip, did she speak.

"I thought you'd like the company. I get so lonely in that house by myself and wanted to see you."

I smiled at her. I wish I had known she was going stir crazy in her house. I was trying to figure out if I had known, maybe Clark had mentioned it, but I didn't recall it. Were we both so engrossed in each other and what was happening to Superman in the media that we were pushing others away? I made a mental note to call my mom later. We still hadn't spoken since the dinner. I moved closer to her and set my cup on the countertop.

"I was at work when I saw the news and-,"

Her voice trailed off, and I nodded, "I've never seen him so defeated either. I don't know how to help him. I wish I stopped him."

I didn't have to clarify for her to know I was talking about his disappearance. Her hand came into my view as she slid it across to my shaking hands.

"Don't do that. Don't beat yourself up for his choices. He's a grown man."

I nodded just as my alarm set on my phone went off and I quickly shut it off. It's shrill ring slicing through the air like a knife. Martha looked at me as if she was dismissed and I watched her gather her purse.

"You can stay while I'm away at work. I wish I knew you were coming. I would have called out. I'd feel bad if you came all the way out here to go right back."

"No, don't do that. I'll come by later this week; I have friends in D.C. I've needed to visit for a while. How does Friday work for you? I have a lot of time on my hands. The drive is worth seeing you, Annie."

"Okay. I work all day Friday, but I can ask to leave early. Perry shouldn't have a problem with it," I explained to her while setting her coffee in the sink, "This is great though, I have a risotto recipe I've been dying to try, and you can be my guinea pig while Clark is away."

I turned to her smiling bright, my mind was jumbled with a million questions, but I didn't want her to see I was more bothered then I let on. We hugged, and she told me to stop stressing, that it'll all work out, but something in my gut was telling me she was wrong.

• • •

Tuesday. November 10th, 2015. 5:15 PM.

• • •

The air around me was almost hostile. Men and women alike have glared and spat at me while I was out for lunch-- all I wanted was soup from the deli down the street and on my way back to work I was pushed, and now a few of my colleagues were whispering in their cubicles like I couldn't hear them. The little girl who lives above me was crying while her mother took her to school because she didn't understand how Superman was terrible if he's always been good.