Chapter 20

"Why isn't it working?" I roared slamming the old useless spell book onto the floor next to my mate's still lifeless body.

I ran my fingers through my hair for the millionth time that day. I groaned as I felt my eyes begin to water once again.

"I'm sorry your highness." Axe whispered as he had his eyes glued onto her. "I should've done my job. I should've been by her side twenty-four seven. I should've been the one laying lifeless on that floor." He sobbed.

"Not only did I fail my king, but I failed the only person that actually gave a damn about me. While we were here we grew very close." He shook his head as he looked away from Ziara's body, as if he couldn't stand the sight anymore.

There was a moment of silence before he began speaking again. "She would've made an amazing mother." He glanced back at her. "She was so kind, so innocent. She made me feel okay for the first time in years." He sniffled.

I sobbed tears pouring down my face. "I can't live without her." I shook my head. "I refuse to live without her."

"Theodulus Isbrand, don't even think about it. Do you really think she would want you to do such a thing?" Axe glared. I growled at his disrespect.

"My wolf will go absolutely rabid without her. You really think I'm going to survive this? I'm an alpha, the king of alphas for goddess’s sake. The bond I have with my mate is ridiculously strong. A bond that is unbreakable. I will die without her." I spat. "I don't want to live without her." I muttered.

I heard him sigh. "When I die I want you to take over for me." I spoke. He gasped. "Theo I couldn't possibly-" I cut him off. "Yes you can. I trust you, frankly I trust you more than I trust Oliver and his mate." He chuckled. "You never really liked Candy."

"Theo, I have no idea how to take on such a roll." I shook my head. "You've been my right hand for the past 30 years. I think you can handle it." He nodded in response.

"You're a stronger man than I am." I muttered. He looked taken back. "I'm sorry what? Theo I think you're beginning to lose it." I shook my head. "You lost your mate so long ago but yet here you are still standing."

He went stiff. "Like you said I didn't have nearly as strong of a bond with my mate as you did." I snorted. "That is true but you still lost your mate, average wolves die from the death of their mate."

He nodded looking back at Ziara. He sniffled once again. "She really loved you. You were all she talked about." He smiled. "I really love her." I spoke gruffly.

"She knew." He spoke moving next to me. "If only you could've just turned her into a werewolf." He commented.
I nodded.

"Oh my God! Theo that's it! You can change her." Axe exclaimed next to me. "She's already dead." I whispered.

"It doesn't hurt to try." He tsked. I shook my head at him. "Just try it. What's the worst that can happen?" He muttered. He had a point. What's the worse that can happen?

"Fine." I sighed as I knelt down next to her once more. I chanted a spell as I lifted her now heavy cold body closer to me. I titled her head to the side as I allowed the venom created by the spell to pool within my mouth.

My thumb brushing over my mark that was bared proudly on her neck. I smiled sadly.

I placed a kiss on the mark before baring my canines. I allowed them to pierce through her now pale skin. As soon as my teeth sunk into her, I heard it. A heartbeat.