Chapter 8

PREVIOUSLY ~

"(Y/n)?"

Both Steve and yourself look at each other, confused. "Did you hear someth-"

"(Y/n)!"

You freeze, immediately recognising the voice.

It was Bill.

~~~~

You turned around from the semi-awkward position you and Steve had found yourselves in. The two of you had been quite close, enough for outsiders to get the wrong idea, although not close enough for the both of you to get awkward. As your eyes met the cheerful ones of Bills you internally cringed. You really didn't want to see him now, especially when you had made such an effort to avoid him for the whole day. His cheerful demeanour soon changed as he realised how close you and Steve were, obviously getting the wrong idea. His expression was then one of slight irritation and maybe even...Jealousy? Maybe you were wrong, what you did know however, was that it was an unreadable emotion that you had not yet seen in Bill.

"Oh...and...who's this?" Bill asked, the sarcasm and edge in his voice completely visible. He clearly did not give one fuck about who he was, nor did he give a fuck about how his tone came across.

"U-um..." You stammered, immediately cursing yourself for doing so. 'Goddamn it (y/n), pull yourself together', you think, as you start to speak once more, only to be soon cut off. "This is St-"

"Steve. I'm Steve" Steve pipes up as he removes the other arm from your shoulder, making his way to Bill. He sticks his arm out to shake, a friendly gesture that Bill does not, in any way shape or form reciprocate. Instead, he raises his head, his nose slightly in the air as if offended by the action of unity and glares down at the extended hand, disgusted. Bill's eyes squinted at Steve. If looks could kill, Steve would have been brutally murdered. Steve, who soon understood what was happening, retracted his hand and cleared his throat.

"Well then" Steve says, with a shake of his head slightly offended as he makes his way back to you. Once he is close enough he leans in and whispers, "How about we go and photocopy the book now?...I don't want any trouble with this guy."

Bill, who had now confirmed your belief of jealously, marched up to you both and promptly separated you from each other. "Don't even go near her". The words that had just left Bill's mouth had shocked you, you didn't even know what to say. This definitely wasn't the Bill you had grown up with and had come to know. His demeanour was much more sinister and aggressive. It was as if the thing that had taken Bill's place wasn't even hiding the fact now. Everything was confirmed now, everything was clear.

Now mad, you moved to stand in front of Bill "How dare you! Look, I don't know what your problem is but-" you're cut off as you poke his chest with your finger on every emphasised word.

"You've CLEARLY been avoiding me. THAT'S my problem." You could practically see the steam coming from his ears, as he pushed your finger away rather forcefully from his chest. You conjured up the meanest glare you could as you leaned in, your breath heavy due to your rising anger.

"I know what you are, demon." It came out barely audible, but it was just enough for him to hear it. You emphasised the word 'demon', and it came out how you intended - full of venom, hatred and disgust. For a moment, "Bill" seemed taken aback, but the expression was over as soon as it was displayed, turning into smirk, then the signature smile, his lip pointed - a smile you would never forget, and would not miss when this fucker was dead. His expression read something along the lines of 'finally'.

"No, not a demon" He leaned down as he spoke, your faces now mere centimetres away from each other, if it was the real Bill maybe you would have melted on the spot, even kissed him - but this was NOT Bill. Even though you knew this, you couldn't help to feel something in this moment. In this position it was just too hard...his lips were right there. As if he read your thoughts, he chuckled deeply and, rather darkly as he looked down at your lips, his tongue darting out to wet his own as if preparing to close the gap between you two.

He moved back a little, his eyes now a noticeable yellow. Judging from the loud gasp you heard beside you, Steve had also seen the change. Bill who had taken no notice of Steve's presence, moved to your ear, about to whisper.

Silence.

There was no movement, all you could hear was his light breathing, his hot breath hitting your skin making you shiver, whether it was in pleasure or fear you couldn't really tell at this point. Everything seemed so muddled in your head, it was almost as if you were under a spell, hypnotised even. Your lips trembled as the anticipation became too much, your body slightly shaking, your knees wanting to give way - and then finally he spoke. He spoke three words. Three words that you believed would never forget. Words that were certain to haunt you every time you relived the memory.

"Your worst nightmare"

He pulled back once more those and those dreaded eyes pierced your soul, read through every thought you had, every feeling. Before the scene could further progress into anything else the bell rang, signifying the end of lunch. Steve, who was now more than determined to get you away from the creature that stood in front of you, grabbed your arm, pulled you away and started to run, and fast.

As you you ran, the smile on Bills face never left as he stared at your fleeting form eerily, his own figure not moving in the slightest.

~~~~

(Far from the school library, both Steve and yourself find yourselves in one of the many school hallways) 

"What-what the hell was that?! It's like the thing wanted to kiss you! And what did he say to you?" Steve asked, pausing for a moment to look at the ground, then continued "it was that thing right? The clown".

Your eyes widened as you replied the scene that had just occurred between you and Bill. "Yes. It-it was him and I don't really know what happened it's all messy", you say dazed and barely coherent. "It's not Bill. Not anymore" you say, more for yourself than Steve. Feeling a headache kicking in, you pinched the bridge between your nose, and shut your eyes.

"We need to get to class, we have history together don't we?" You say trying to change the subject. Steve nodded, still weary about what had just happened and you breathed a sigh of relief at his confirmation. You didn't have a class with Bill, thank heavens for that.

"Let's go. I have a few people you need to meet though, after class." Steve says, once again grabbing your wrist and leading through the chaotic masses of bodies that flooded through the corridor madly rushing to class.

~~~~