The Holiday Party

I was putting on my dress for the party when my phone had rung. I quickly slipped it on, pulling it up, and running to my office. I quickly grabbed the telephone and picked it up.

"Hello," I said breathing heavy.

"I sent a car for you," I heard Patrick say.

"I can take my own car," I said laughing and letting my the bottom of my dress fall to the floor.

"Yes, but I sent a car for you," he repeated and added "I'll see you there," after that I was pretty sure he had hung up. I looked at the phone and sighed putting it down.

I stood in front of the mirror in my office, my red hair was up in one of those fancy buns. I disliked these fancy buns. My mother would constantly force me to do my hair that way because she thought I looked best when you could see my whole face. It just happened to fit the occasion well tonight.

I stared at the gold dress with the slight plunging neckline. It was a pretty dress, I had happened to have it in my closet. So, when Patrick said the dress code for women was gold or black dress I was relieved. The only black dresses I owned were more so cocktail dresses that were definitely not meant for this.

I grabbed my black clutch off of the counter and put on my black heels. The gold dress was honestly enough gold to last me a lifetime. Didn't want to overdo it now.

I put my cell in my clutch, lipstick, and was wondering if I could magically stick myself in there as well. Never to be seen again and could avoid this mess I'd gotten myself into.

I locked my front door and headed out onto my sidewalk. I wasn't expecting the car to be there but it was. The driver got out of the car and stood next to the car door smiling at me.

"Miss Katherine," he said and held the door open. I smiled back at him and nodded. I slid into the car and he shut the door. He got into the car himself and started the engine then looked back at me and started talking.

"I'm Sydney," He said as he started driving.

"It's nice to meet you," I said smiling from where I was sitting even though he couldn't see me.

"You know, Mr. King is very excited to have you at the party," He said as he kept driving.

"Oh?" I said kind of surprised.

"Yes, he's mentioned it a few times," He said and I blushed. Had he really?

The rest of the car ride was fairly quiet until we came to a stop in front of a huge home. There were a couple of people standing in line waiting to get in.

The car door opened, I got out of the car and stood in front of Sydney.

"Thanks," I said genuinely and he smiled.

"Enjoy yourself," He said and I nodded my thanks.

I made my way up the steps and went to stand behind a couple that was in front of me.

"I heard that one of the King boys are getting married," the woman in front of me said quietly to what I assumed was her husband.

"To who?" The man asked intrigued.

"Some what's her name actress Molly something," She said as they went up to the security and gave them their names. He asked my name and I was let in, I kind of thought this might have been a huge joke. That I would get to security and wouldn't be on the 'list'

I walked into the beautiful house and was offered champaign by a waitress. "Thank you," I said grabbing one. Lord knew I would need it.

There was a huge overly decorated Christmas tree, which seemed to be a theme with this family. There were a lot of other Christmas decorations as well and a piano was playing in the background. Everyone was mingling and drinking, eating the small foods as they came by. There was a name for those.

I felt incredibly out of place but I couldn't let them see that. See a lot of very wealthy people were like sharks, they could smell not just blood but the fear. Actually, they could probably smell the blood too, now that I thought about it.

I took a sip of my champagne and started walking around the room. My only hope for tonight was that I didn't run into James, that was really it. That was the one King I could live without ever seeing again.

I had spotted Patrick and begun making my way towards him. He saw me and smiled as I got closer.

"You made it and you do look lovely if I do say so myself," He said picking up my hand and kissing it. I was heating up, did he have to do that?

"Thank you," I said softly.

"Come on there are some people I would like you to meet," He said grabbing my hand.

We walked through the maze of people and that's when I saw him. He was heading straight towards his brother. "Um, Patrick, you know I think I need the restroom," I said coming up with the first excuse I could think of.

"Right now? It'll just be a moment and then you can go," He said pulling me towards his brother again. I had a very bad feeling about this.

We walked up to James and it was like all the memories had come flooding back. The job, him all over me, me quitting. I had to admit that he was a handsome man, always had been. If only he had acted like a gentleman.

"Katherine, this is my brother James and his new fiance Merideth," Patrick said introducing us. I smiled and tried avoiding his eyes.

"It's nice to meet you both," I said primarily looking at Merideth.

"Yes, Katherine was it?" He asked drinking some of his what looked like scotch.

"Yes," I said clearing my throat. Now, I was getting upset that he didn't remember me. But I was afraid that he would to begin with. Make up your mind Katy.

I took a big gulp of my champagne, finishing it off, and grabbing another one that came by.

"So, are you two an item now?" Meredith asked politely. I quickly shook my head.

"It's compl-" I cut Patrick off and quickly said "Just friends" and smiled at her. The fact that Patrick thought this was going to be anything more made me question if we were in the same universe.

"I thought that you were married," I blurted out suddenly and looked at James.

"I was," He said finishing his scotch.

"Katherine, why don't I introduce you to some friends of mine," Patrick said and pulled me away from the awkward situation I had created for myself.

"Thank you," I whispered to him.

"You really don't wanna bring that up around him," Patrick whispered back and brought me over to a group of men.

"Gentlemen, this is Katherine, she's planning on opening up a law firm, and she's looking for a partner I have no doubt you can help her," Patrick said bluntly. I looked over at him with wide eyes, I wasn't looking for a partner, was I? I mean that would be a smart move, if I go down, we all go down?