The Announcement

The engagement party was beautiful, it really was. There were actors and actresses from some of my favorite shows ever, of course, I couldn't let them know that though. Fangirling at something like this was not a good look on my part. Especially with the board meeting coming up in the next couple days, Patrick had told me a lot of the members would be here. Talk about a close-knit community.

Patrick and I had walked in together catching a couple look here and there. I think it was mostly curiosity, word had gotten out that I was set to take over, and people were understandably curious. These men and their wives were some of the most wealthy and influential people in this city, on top of already being close to Edwardo, and I was not what they expected as a successor. I was ready to prove the bastards wrong.

"What does she even do? there's no way he actually left anything to her" I heard someone whisper as Patrick and I were walking back. I turned around to see two men holding drinks and looking over at me.

I don't think Patrick heard or he would have for sure said something. He was just that kind of a guy. I myself was going to tell them where they could shove those drinks but I decided I'd have my opportunity to prove them wrong.

A waiter came by with drinks and Patrick grabbed two, handing me one and thanking him. He handed me the drink and I thanked him by smiling.

Patrick and I mingled for a bit until James and Merideth came towards us.

"Hope you two are enjoying yourselves," Merideth said smiling brightly.

"Yes, we are Merideth, this is really beautiful," I awed looking around at the white and silver themed party. Guess they weren't ones for a lot of colors, but it was truly stunning regardless. Crystals hanging above us and all white bunches of flowers on every table. That was just the least of it. If this was what their second engagement party looked like, I wondered what their wedding would look like.

I found that it helped to pretend that I wasn't in love with him. To just look at him as if he were some random guy or friend who was getting married. Otherwise, I didn't foresee myself getting through the rest of this party without having a breakdown of some sort.

"It was all Merideth," James bragged kissing the top of her head and she smiled up at him. My heart actually hurt from that show of affection. But I was damn good at hiding it at this point.

"Katherine congrats on your new positions," she said drawing out the last part and making it more of a question.

I nodded my head "Multiple companies, so yes," I said smiling politely at her.

Another waiter came by and offered us more drinks. James and Merideth declined but I went for another one. More for me.

I took a sip of my champagne and felt Patrick's arm slide around my waist. I looked over at him wondering what he wanted or assuming he wanted to introduce me to someone. But it was just meant to be something to comfort me on his part. In that moment I was for sure we could never be anything more than friends.

"That's quite a lot to take on, are you sure you wouldn't want to get some help from Patrick?" Merideth asked smiling.

"I'm quite capable, thank you," I said standing my ground. To think I liked her for a little bit there.

"I didn't mean to insult your capabilities," She quickly said. "I just couldn't imagine," She added laughing and tucking some of her blond hair behind her ear.

"Well, Edwardo saw something in me and I intend to do right by him," I said proudly. Merideth smiled nodding and James pulled her away to go talk to other people.