5. Janice Tried

Ch. 5. Janice tried: (Playing God by Paramore) 

Cy
°°°°

"Ah!" her shrieks exploded. Seeped into every crevice in my room, "Hahaha, Cyrus, stop!" she moved, bolted, attempting to throw all the napkins behind her.

"Come back here, Nattie," he chased—fucking up the steadiness of the whole thing, "You know you want some of this!"—his grin large enough for the world to see.

The boy who laughed and teased his girlfriend. The one who caught her by the waist and caked her cheek with blue frosting; that person who planted soft, delighted kisses all over her displeased face... we were the same back then. Inseparable.

But now, we're only strangers.

Barely blinking, my thumb trailed, rewinding to the beginning. I craved the day to be able to watch til the end without doubling over, and fighting for those slow deep breaths, whenever I saw the two of them kiss.

This thundering in my chest should pass soon. It will. It has to.

Eyes shut tight, my hand stopped shaking but vibrated a second later. Yang was calling.

I cleared my throat, "H-hello?"

"Yooo, Cyrus," he seemed better. "I heard you got your ass handed to you!" I rolled my eyes when he asked, "Is it true?"

Listen, I wasn't in the mood for this crappy teasing so early. My comforter slid off the bed as I stood and pulled out my uniform.

"Hello?" his voice called, "Stink fac—"

"Are you going to tell me about Brian?" I challenged. His silence was my answer.

Light shuffling came from his side and I managed to finish brushing my teeth.

"Oh, yeah! My car s'all good now so you don't have to pick me up today." He said, breaking the silence that we didn't typically go into.

I felt just a bit guilty but an 'okay' was all I could muster before we hung up.

°°°°

Would it be too weird to say that the first couple of periods today were pretty uneventful?

It was probably stupid but I kept checking the corners even as I walked with Yang (and yes, we're cool. Did some manly, bro stuff—hugged, whatever).

But listen... I mean, the guys and I only caught each other's eyes in the halls before we swore not to really go near that demon-possessed girl again.

We avoided her at all costs during Gym.

Don't call me a damn punk but what the fuck!

She didn't even seem pleased by the fact that what happened yesterday almost made us piss our pants. My finger still hurts.

I looked up from my lunch tray as Faizan stole a fry, he smiled sheepishly, but my eyes focused on the figure behind him.

"Cyrus,"

I turned my head, "What?

"Checking out the Ice Princess?" Lance asked.

"Nope," Quickly dismissed that dumb-ass notion. "I don't get it... anyone would gloat and hold something over you but she doesn't do anything—" I glared back at her, "show any type of emotion unless you tell her you'll 'see her later'?"