Chapter 3

Both held each other’s gaze unflinchingly, and he noticed that she didn’t put on an air of either exaggerated coyness or superiority.

She directed a warm smile at him, with a graceful dip of her head.
“It is a pleasure to meet you, Rajveer Vikram Rana,” she said, her voice ringing out clearly.

“Likewise, Your Highness. I hope your travel was pleasant, and there has been no discomfort in your stay so far?” he asked, at an attempt to break the ice.

At this, she surprisingly broke into laughter, and he noticed that her laughter was neither too restrained nor too hard. He could see the genuine amusement twinkle in her eyes.

“You welcome me so formally into my own home. And, of course, everything has sailed smoothly so far. Do you mind?” she asked, dipping her hand into the vermillion paste and holding it in the air, near his forehead.

“Of course not, Your Highness, please,” he asked, genuinely surprised at the gesture. She drew a small dot on his forehead and handed both him and the king the offerings.

“Thank you, Your Majesty,” he said, the smile reaching his eyes.

Now he knew she wasn’t yet another snobby royal who was told from her birth that the whole world belonged to her. Her down-to-earth nature made him want to respect her genuinely.

The way she held his gaze, he knew she made impressions that lasted.

She was quick to respond, “No, thank you. I must say I could finally breathe in peace at my grandmother’s place only after I heard that someone was keeping an eye on my father.

I’ve heard all about your commendable skills both inside the stateroom and on the battlefield. So, once again, thank you, Rajveer Vikram Rana.”

Damayanthi didn’t know what made her want to trust Rajveer Vikram Rana instantly. There was something about the way he held her gaze firmly, his manner polite and humble yet not submissive.

“It is my duty, after all, Your Grace.”

_______________________________________

Author's note: What do you think about their pairing? Do let me know.... oh, and SHIP NAMES REQUESTED! Do leave one in the comments section! Don't forget to vote!