Chapter 4

The trio made their way out of the temple, with the King requesting the princess to accompany him to court. As the King led the way deeply engrossed in a conversation with one of the Ministers, Rajveer and Damayanthi trailed behind,trying to make small talk .

         On learning that Rajveer had taken up his duty three years ago, the princess asked him out of the blue
"Rajveer? Are you related to a certain Omkar Rana?"
Rajveer replied with a hint of pride "I am his grandson, my lady".
"You are his grandson?", she asked, evidently surprised, but on an afterthought,added " Oh but of course you would be. He was a very trusted asvisor to my father and grandfather, too. I suppose he retried. Did you know, I was very close to Omkar baba. He used to make me ships out of wood shearings when I was seven", she chucked.

        Rajveer had expected this,as he remembered his grandfather telling him that the princess might ask after him. "He was the first to teach me how to weild a sword", she added, an edge of respect in her eyes."I moved to my grandmother's kingdom soon after, though I managed to continue there".

          Damayanthi was momentarily consumed in nostalgia, and she could vividly recollect her first time holding a sword. Her parents had been so proud, especially her mother. Things had changed after her mother's death. Her father had refused to take another wife, saying didn't feel the need to seeing as he already had a child, the princess. When asked as to who the throne would go to,seeing as there was no male heir, the King said that time would answer everything. This led to a lot of speculations as to whom amongst the various contenders, including the princess herself would finally get the throne.

       Such thoughts had consumed her momentarily, and her reveire was interrupted by Rajveer, who asked " Does her majesty still practice warfare much?" He knew that princesses were taught everything ranging from archery to swordplay, but were expected to use nothing, as was the norm. Many chose to let their skills wane over time, choosing other "princess like" activities to pursue.
" Why of course, I do. I wouldn't let all my training go waste now, would I? And, does the esteemed warrior have any other interests besides warfare?",
she asked, knowing that many warriors devoted their lifetime to warfare and diplomacy. They didn't have time or interest for other pleasures. "This sword", he said, gripping the handle of his sheathed sword, "is the only thing I know, your highness. And it will be forever devoted to serving the Kingdom".

    "Which is why Rajveer is one of my closest confidants, my dear",said the King who has now joined them, placing his palm on Rajveer's shoulder. "As for you, my child, I would love to see what has become of your skills. You could only just lift a sword when you were five!",he chuckled. " I can do that and more more, father", she replied,a slight grin on her face."I'd like to see you do it, then!",the king declared.
_______________________________________
Author's note: Do leave your comments and votes!