Chapter 5

"No game is played without an opponent, princess. If there is to be swordplay, then it will have to be a duel !"

        Rajveer recognized the voice even  before he had seen it's owner. His supposed counterpart, one of the most powerful people in the Kingdom. There had always been something about the man he didn't trust. Was it his position that made Rajveer keep a keen eye on him? Though he didn't want to admit it, he knew that this man held the power to destroy the entire Kingdom if he tried. But would he?Rajveer had pondered over the question one too many times.

      "Damayanthi, meet the commander-in-chief of Mahendragiri, Dhruv Raghuraj Verma!" At the King's introduction, the Commander, a man roughly about Rajveer's age, clad in full armor greeted the party. The bow her gave her had too much of an unnatural flair to it, making it seem as if he were mocking her. Ever the charmer, she presented the same courteous greeting and smile she had given Rajveer. Though Damaynthi barely knew them ,she could already sense the visible tension between the two men as Rajveer and Dhruv bowed curtly to each other.

      "Of course, Commander. A duel it will be", Damayanthi said in reply to his previous statement. "Then do let me be your first competitor, princess", he replied with a smirk, giving her a once-over. She felt a bit disturbed with his manner, feeling it to be a bit egotistical. Still,she gave her consent, and the party now headed towards a small indoor arena.

     Damayanthi tested the weight of her sword,and found it as perfect as usual. The familiar curve of the handle clasped her fingers like an old friend. Her father watching with Rajveer and the Prime Minister on either side made her slightly conscious. The King had been all praise, speaking of the "highly skilled" soldiers of Mahendragiri,and "exemplary abilities" of the Commander. She would see for herself in a short while if his words were true.

       "I'll go easy on you, princess. Don't worry yourself. I don't hurt young ladies", Dhruv commented, slightly irritating her. So instead of giving one of her charming replies, Damayanthi concentrated on his movement,waiting for his attack. He swung around his sword back an forth mid-air,trying to intimidate her.

       Dhruv brought down his sword, aiming to disarm her carelessly , but gasped in surprise when hers met his first . Taking advantage of his surprise,Damayanthi thrust, parried and in a flash, his sword flew out of his hand, making the Commander tumble over and fall on his back, his smirk now repalced by a gape. The match was over,and Damayanthi had won in two seconds  flat.

       Unable to hide her smile, she turned to her father,whose expression mirrored that of Dhruv's. Rajveer had an impressed look on his face, eyebrows raised in appreciation. She had done nothing but a basic move, a sinple disarming strategy. Damayanthi didn't appreciate the fact that the Commander-in-chief of the army could be defeated this easily. Her voice dripped sarcasm, and a look of disapproval was visible on her face, when she addressed the King.
" It was wonderful to see the   'exemplary abilities' of the Commander-in-chief of this Kingdom , father.  Any more 'highly skilled' persons I need to meet?"

        "Go,Rajveer", said the King. He knew what she was thinking, and wanted to prove her wrong both to satisfy his own ego and to wipe the worry off his daughter's mind. With a bow, Rajveer walked to the arena,coming face to face with the waiting princess.
" This is going to be interesting!", thought the King.