Chapter 5: New Friends

I restarted heading to the lake and once I got there, I took of my shoes and placed them in my bag. At the edge of the lake I placed my bag down and hiked up the bottom of my dress so I could get my feet in the water without ruining the dress. Breathe in, and out, in, and out. After a few minutes of complete silence and relaxation I pulled out my sketchbook to a blank page. I drew the view from my bedroom window back home. Part of the market at the bottom, part of the palace, and the Heart of Atlantis and the Kings of our Past. I was almost done when I heard a splash coming form the water. I looked up form my drawing and saw some kind of figure swimming around. I pulled my feet out of the water and dug through my bag to pull up my knife, only if I was attacked.

"Who's there?" I said to the water and realized how stupid I sound. "Wow, Kali. If you continue to talk to yourself, people will think you're crazy." I lowered my head, closed my eyes, and put down my knife.

"No one is truly crazy." A voice said. I looked behind me to find no one, realization struck me again. I slowly turned my head back to the lake and saw the girl with red hair from choir. Ariel's— "I'm Ariana, Ariel's younger daughter, and from choir class." She was about five feet from me in the water.

"Yeah, I remember." I said grabbing my knife. Ariana moved back a bit. "I'm not going to hurt you. I just have in case I'm attacked." Putting it back in my bag.

"Does everyone in Atlantis know how to use a weapon?" Ariana said.

"Yes, but mostly if we are ever attacked again. Or for any kind of problem." I said. "Everyone learns at a young age, like around six years old."

"Wow. A city full of warriors." Ariana said with a slight smile on her face. "That's amazing. I guess you never get bored."

"No, we do." I said, playing with my nails. "We may be advanced in some cases, but there are somethings that we wish we could have."

"Like what?" Ariana said coming by me and resting her arms on the ground.

"Well, like we don't have cell phones or internet like you do."

"I don't think I could live without my phone." Ariana said.

"I do have a question." I said to Ariana, "How do you have a tail?"

"Oh," Ariana laughed looking behind her at her green tail. "My grandfather, King Triton, gave me a bracelet that will grant me my tail when I touch water and legs when I'm on land. The only problem is that it takes a while to get my legs back."

"That sounds pretty cool, expect the waiting on the legs part."

"I got used to it." Ariana laughed, "Do you know what time it is?"

I looked at my watch to see that it was 12:30 and time for lunch. "It's still lunch time. Do you have a class after lunch?"

"Unfortunately I do." Ariana said trying to pull herself up. "Can— can you help me? It takes me a while to get out of here."

"Sure." I stood up and grabbed hold of her arms, pulling her out of the water with all my strength. Once she's out I take a real look at her tail. It wasn't just green, but also tan and some dark green. "How long does it take for you to get your legs back?"

"Just a couple more minutes." She answered, and literally just a couple moments later she has her legs back. She also was wearing what she wore to class, that's magic for you.

"Wow." I said with wide eyes.

"The perks of magic." Ariana said standing up and smoothing out her dress. "Let's head back to school."