Chapter 2: Weapons and Traitors

Snake Eyes walked into the sparring room just as Scarlett finished explaining what they were doing for the day. Everybody made a big circle and sat down as Scarlett called off two names. Both people came to the center and fought until the other tapped out. Snake Eyes leaned against the wall and watched. When Temper's name got called, he paid close attention to the way she hit and blocked. She handled herself well, but he had to remind himself that the man she was fighting was a grunt. She would not hold up against a more experienced fighter and he left soon after her fight was over.

Temper walked out of the sparring room and headed to Hawk's office like she was told to. Upon arriving, she sat in the chair and waited for him to finish typing.

"I got word from Snake Eyes that you are to be advancing into the next class," Hawk said.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know anything of this," she tried to explain.

"I agree with him." Temper looked at him in shock.

"Huh?"

"If Cobra attacks and you can't defend yourself because you're rusty, I don't want to be the one to blame."

"But-"

"You'll be advanced through the classes, asked to join the teams on missions. I think it's time we showed Cobra that we have you. You can't hide here forever and besides, maybe it is time you don't stay so low."

She nodded in understanding. After all, he was right, and she couldn't start a fight every time she felt cagey. She left without being dismissed.

She knew Snake Eyes was watching her, but she did not think anything of it. Certainly did not think that he would advance her and she cursed at herself for being so careless.

As Temper walked into the mess hall, she ran into Scarlett and Snake Eyes. Temper felt anger come over her whenever Scarlett was put into the mix, ever since she met her.

"Watch where you're going grunt," Scarlett warned.

Temper tried to calm down and stepped to the side to let the two out.

She's higher ranking and Hawk will give you hell, Temper reminded herself.

Snake Eyes grabbed her elbow, which put her attention on him. He could see fire in her eyes, and feel her body tense with rage.

I'm sorry for her behavior, he signed, not sure if she would understand sign language.

"I'm sure a lot of people are sorry for her behavior," Temper shot. She ripped her arm from his grasp and left without getting food.

Her first day in the advanced class began with an introduction to a few other people while they all waited for Snake Eyes to arrive. The first man introduced himself was a heavily built black man with a British accent, his codename was Heavy Duty. Heavy Duty introduced her to a Moroccan man busy on his laptop dubbed Breaker. She knew who they were, they were on the Alpha Team, everybody knew who they were.

Snake Eyes walked into the sparring room just as the class with Scarlett left.

Pair up, Snake Eyes signed. Heavy Duty leaned over to her.

"He signed-" Heavy Duty started.

"Pair up, I know sign language, but thank you," Temper interrupted. She didn't know anybody so she got paired with Breaker who did not get asked to be partners either.

"Looks like we're the odd ones out," Breaker pointed out.

"Looks like it," she agreed.

Snake Eyes demonstrated a move with a volunteer and signed for them to do the same. They learned three moves and three blocks by the time class was over. She had to admit that, though Breaker was in front of a computer all day and had almost no balance, he was a quick learner. Multitasking between doing drills and watching Snake Eyes sign to move on was going to be difficult. She would have to learn to manage. Snake Eyes came up to her after class.