Chapter 12: Japan (part 3)

After getting dressed Temper went on with her day: breakfast, classes, lunch, classes, dinner, the newly added kitchen duties, and finally... sleep.

She made it a point to show Snake Eyes her resentment. Usually she would be over it, she did not like to dwell on things for too long, but this did not just involve her.

Sure, she should be mad at Kamakura and Jinx for dragging her into this and going behind Snake Eyes' back, but she could not blame them either.

He's being a hard ass, she thought to herself as she laid in bed. Only a sheet curtained her form. A sports bra and spandex shorts covered everything important. Temper turned on her side and closed her eyes, letting sleep drown her in her own mind. Various flashbacks ran through her mind.

A young Temper looked out the window to the bottom of the mountain to the green, rolling hills. Smoke stacks rose out of a few houses in the village not too far away.

"What do you think?" a female voice asked her. Temper turned her head to see a girl, maybe a couple years older than her, black hair, and greyish blue eyes.

"It's beautiful Miss Cisarovna," Temper replied, turning around fully. The female in front of her laughed and put up one hand.

"Please, just call me Anastasia or Ana if you prefer," she requested. Ana gave her a small smile, which Temper returned.

***

"Temperance!" Eugene called out. He ran up to Temper, Tommy running along side him. They both came to a stop and caught their breath. Ana walked up to the three.

"Did you really have to run?" Ana asked. Temper nodded excitedly and almost ripped the glass door off its hinges. The smell of pizza and pasta reached her nose as she walked over to the familiar booth in the back of the restaurant.

"I'm hungry. You're the one who held us up."

***

A shot fired, a body hit the floor. Temper watched as men with guns looked around the room. She quietly slipped out a hole in the old warehouse and ran as fast as she could through the fields of Vietnam.

***

Temper's body was pushed against the wall, her hands trapped above her. Tommy's loud voice pierced her ears. She could tell he was angry, he was handling the death of yet another person who had grown close to him. She was in shock... still. The faint recognition of his words put her farther into abyss as she was ostracized from yet another family. It's only fair, she thought to herself, an exchange of pain.

Ana's cries carried through the halls as she left the castle behind.

***

"Do you want to join the Joes?" Hawk asked.

"Will it be safe?"she asked.

"You don't have to worry Temper, I'll take care of you," he promised. "And we can handle ourselves."

***

Another dream came to her, but this time, it was not a memory, it was a nightmare.

"Where were you?" Tommy asked. He was older than when she was fifteen, when she last saw him.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Is this what you wanted?" he asked.

"I don't understand." Temper shook her head in denial, tear threatened to show her fear.