Chapter 11: Japan (part 2)

Snake Eyes got ready for the day as he thought of Temper. She had started not one, but two fights the day before and he ended up carrying her to her room across from his. He would end up having to escort her to the room she stayed in, the first night they came, to get her stuff. He knew that he was the only one who could restrict her anger without making her want to leave, which he both hated and was thankful for. He wanted her to come here and train, take her anger out on people who could take it, not have someone piss her off more like the events of yesterday.

Snake Eyes left the room and knocked on Temper's door. When she did not answer he slowly opened the door and entered. This part of the temple was more modern with non-shoji walls and hinged doors. A long rectangular window only half a foot in width was placed at the top of the wall opposite to him. The low rise bed was in the corner to his right, a dresser was in the corner diagonal to him, across from the bed. A door was placed in between the bed and dresser, leading to the bathroom.

Temper lay in the black and grey covers of the bed. A cup of tea sat on the small nightstand next to the bed. He strode over to it and picked it up. It was the same tea that the Soft Master gave to those who could not sleep. He took in a deep breath and left to the guest room she had slept in. He picked up her belongings and brought them to her room, then left to spar with Jinx.

Temper woke up to a door shutting. She perked her head up and looked around the room. Memories of the day before came flooding into her brain, the fight, the food, the fight, the sparring, and finally, falling asleep.

Snake Eyes must have carried me here, at least there was nothing to snoop through, she thought bitterly. She sat up and saw her bags near the door. At least nothing he hasn't seen before, she added.

She looked to the nightstand where the cup of tea was placed. She raised her eyebrows furrowed, then she remembered.

Temper woke up in a room illuminated by a strip of glass on the farthest wall that was letting in some moonlight. Her brain throbbed against her skull causing her thoughts to be cloudy. She knew she was not going to fall asleep easily and felt her way to the door. She stumbled out and kept walking until she came to a kitchen where the Soft Master watched a kettle on the stove.

"Ahh, young one, I knew you would be here soon," he said to her.

Her headache started to fade and become numb as she took a whiff of the herbs in the air.

The Soft Master came over to her and put a cold hand to her warm, clammy forehead. He frowned and her head felt like a bullet went through it the moment the kettle seemingly screamed. She clutch the roots of her hair and groaned in agony.

When the whistling stopped she waited until the pain subsided before opening her eyes. It was not effective as her vision blurred. The lip of a ceramic cup touched her lips and hot liquid streamed down her throat, burning it. She felt a cool hand on her arm.

Vaguely Temper remembered walking through the door and plopping down on the mattress.

She shook her head and made her way to the dining room, where she ate breakfast. As the day progressed she wandered through the training rooms, sparring with some of the students. Around lunchtime she met up with Snake Eyes by accident and she ate while he sat there, conversing with her.

So you spent the past four hours sparring with people and didn't kill them or hospitalize them? Snake Eyes interrogated.

He did not expect her to be awake for a while after drinking the Soft Master's tea. He realized that the Soft Master must have made it more potent or else her body would have fought off the effects sooner.