Like Me Better

this is my entry of my friend Audrey's writing challenge (finally, i know i'm sorry)!! thank you so much to Audrey for hosting this writing challenge and letting me be apart of it.

check out other submissions to the writing challenge !

the song i chose was "i like me better" by lauv: you can listen to it . (it comes into play more at the end, not really the whole thing whoops)

warnings: swearing?? (is that even a warning with me tho)

Y/N POV

Another pack meeting, another night in which I sat quietly beside Mason and tried to block out the rest of the world. Being one of the only humans in the pack was hard, but what was even harder was watching Hayden put her hands all over Liam. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with PDA, I have a problem with her.

I'd had a crush on Liam for a few months before he and Hayden started dating, but I kept quiet because she made him happy. That is, until I couldn't take it anymore. Mason is the only one who knows about my feelings for Liam, and how I feel towards Hayden. Seeing them so happy all the time almost killed me, but when they started fighting I felt even worse. He was one of my best friends and I couldn't even help him because of my own damn feelings.

I climbed the stairs up to Derek's loft and with every step closer to the door, I could feel my stomach twist. When I entered, I was relieved to see Mason already there, talking to Lydia on the couch and scanned the room for the rest of the pack. Scott was in deep conversation with Derek, probably discussing why we were all summoned here on a Friday night, while Stiles and Malia were raiding the kitchen for snacks. I brought my gaze back to Mason and Lydia, but before I could greet them, the front door swung open only to reveal a nicely- dressed Liam and a very angry looking Hayden.

"Guess someone had a date tonight" Lydia whispered, as I tried not to laugh. They entered the apartment and all that was heard was the loud tapping of Hayden's heels against the hard floor. Luckily, the awkward silence was broken shortly thereafter when Derek and Scott started the pack meeting. To be honest, I wasn't paying much attention, but trying to clear my head and steady my heartbeat. Sitting in a pack of werewolves while trying to avoid emotional confrontation wasn't exactly easy. I could feel his eyes on me while mine were glued to the wall, but out of my peripheral vision could see Hayden pulling on his arm, forcing his eyes back to Derek. Great, another thing for her to yell at him about later. I couldn't help as guilt washed over me just before Derek called for a break in the meeting.

As soon as the word "break" left his mouth, Hayden had her hand on Liam's arm, pulling him to the balcony with her while everyone else splits up to talk. Mason glanced over to me and gave a small smile and a pat on the shoulder before getting up from his spot on the couch. I pulled out my phone and began to aimlessly scroll in an attempt to clear my mind, yet it proved unsuccessful. Just as I was slipping my phone back into my pocket, loud shouting came from the balcony and I didn't need heightened werewolf hearing to understand what was being said.

"You tell her you're no longer friends or we're done Li".

I could feel the tears welling in my eyes and forced myself to look at him. Even through the glass doors, I could see his face perfectly, and although it was covered with shock, he remained quiet. I glanced over to Hayden, who looked incredibly satisfied with herself before looking back to Liam. His blue eyes met mine and a deep breath released from his chest, no words coming along with it.

Without another thought, I rushed out of my seat and towards the door, letting it slam behind me. The sound of the metal stairs echoed through the corridors as I made my way out of the building, but before I could open the door, a hand grabbed ahold of my arm. I spun around only to see a frantic Mason standing in front of me, slightly out of breath. "Y/N! Where are you going?".

"Where does it look like Mason? I need to get out of here. Excuse me if I'd like to have a breakdown by myself instead of in front of the whole pack, and I'm sure as hell not giving Hayden the satisfaction of seeing it" I spat back, tearing my arm from him grip. I pushed the door open and the cool autumn air wrapped itself around me as I made my way into the night. My feet slammed against the cold, hard ground and was the only noise to be heard in the darkness.

When the tears stopped falling, and my body became tired, I found myself at the lacrosse field. The empty field at night was almost eerie but the hum of the lights that illuminated the bright green grass gave off a nostalgic vibe. I sat on the cold bleachers and thought of the first time I'd seen Liam play on this field. I'd come to a game with Mason and he introduced us afterwards, and ever since we'd been as close as ever. Another tear slipped from my eye as I quickly wiped it away. I sat there alone for what felt like hours, reminiscing about Liam and I's friendship. The crunching of leaves brought my attention back to reality and to the field in front of me. He was standing there, in the middle of the field and when I looked up at him, a wave of relief came over his body. I ran my hands underneath my eyes one last time, even though the puffiness due to tears still lingered. I took a deep breath as he walked over and knelt in front of me. Before he could speak, I cut him off: "I can't do this, I can't sit by and watch you be with her anymore". I could feel the tears welling up again and my words getting caught in my throat. I avoided eye contact with him as much as possible and instead focused on the way he held my hands in his. "She's not good enough for you Liam. You deserve so much better–".

"We broke up" he said quietly. My head shot up in hopes of meeting his gaze and a sharp breath entered my lungs, but it was his turn to avert his eyes. I leaned forward and brought my right hand to his cheek, "I'm so sorry, Li".

He shook his head, and I could feel his jaw clench before letting it drop. "Don't be. I didn't like who I was when I was with her and I've done some things I'm not proud of, but one thing I will never do is lose you". He brought his baby blue eyes to meet mine and stood up, still holding my hands. He began to walk towards the sidelines of the field, pulling me with him until he stopped and turned back to me. "Do you know what happened in this exact spot?" he asked, my reply being silence and a confused glance. "Right where we're standing is where we met for the very first time, and a few months later is where I realized I loved you".

His words made it feel as though all the air had been taken from my lungs. "You what?'' I asked, voice low and eyes focused on his. "I do. You make me happy, you've made me a better person. And you're the only person I want to be with".

Damn, I like me better when I'm with you

I like me better when I'm with you

I knew from the first time, I'd stay for a long time 'cause

I like me better when

I like me better when I'm with you

As he spoke the last word, I brought my hand to his cheek and firmly planted my lips to his. In no time, he did the same, and I snaked my other arm around his neck. Our lips moved together in perfect harmony and with such passion. When the kiss finally broke, we both took a few deep breaths before smiling at the other, foreheads pressed together. "I love you too".

"Good", he let out with a sigh of relief and a chuckle. "How did you even find me here in the first place?" I asked, but was met with a quiet and frown-faced Liam. "Mason told you didn't he?".

"He said you come here when you want to be alone" Liam replied softly, it was sweet he went to Mason. "It looks like I'll need to find a new spot for future use" I teased, giving him a playful smile.

"Trust me, you won't need it".

Writer's Note: sorry this took so long Audrey!! but I hope you like it! also I'm trying to finish the Christmas requests in my inbox atm so we'll see how that goes :')