Chapter 1

I could smell it, the delicious scent of blood mixed with the smell of wet earth swirling in the wind. My heartbeat quickened with each step I took;how could I not get excited? The fragrance was intoxicating and welcomed me; urging me like a bee consumed by the constant thought of the flower. It was rare for the scent of blood to arouse such a reaction from me. But then again it had been such along time since I had fed. I bit my lip trying to calm the growing anticipation deep inside. I blinked and grinned as the realization of the situation hit me.There was nothing I could do. I could not hunt or pursue the delicate bouquet that taunted me. In mid-morning among my peers I continued towards the small building trying to let go of my momentary excitement.

 I could not help but imagine the person who had such excruciatingly aromatic blood coursing through them. Butterflies weaved around my stomach as I thought about the warm liquid pumping through their veins. My mouth watered for a moment as the image of my teeth gently piercing the soft skinned veiled my mind. I stopped mid-step slightly immobilized by my next thought. Was this scent familiar? Did I know the person the aroma belonged to? To be so overwhelmingly appealing had to mean that it was a special type of person. What if it washer?

I stood there feeling a strange overpowering anxiety pitted deeply in my stomach. I inhaled hoping it would calm down the strange emotion surging through me. Un-phased by the first bell I gazed towards the mesmerizing sky trying once more to let the excitement fade. It was a brilliant array of pinks,oranges and yellows blended effortlessly behind soft billowing clouds. Just knowing the beautiful swirls of colors were more vivid from my perspective made me feel a hint of pity for those around me. How would it be to go through life without noticing such magnificent moments? I shrugged feeling a wave of calmness with the burst of fresh air. The delicious scent of blood had vanished.

 I glanced around as the students passed by...marching on through the building's front doors dressed in their spring uniforms. The guys wore black slacks and light blue collared shirts while the girls were given the option of knee length skirts or shorts.This was accompanied by a similar blue blouse. It was strange to see how they were expected to behave like adults. The teenagers were not even considered mature enough to dress themselves appropriately for school, but they were expected to decide their entire future in these four years. I shook my head slightly as the contradicting ideas spun around. I tapped my shoe on the warming pavement, adjusting my foot inside,and glanced down at my perfectly creased slacks. I sighed as I realized I was also grouped with these teenagers.

 "You better hurry or you're going to be late."A young girl smiled cheerfully at me, her sweet words echoed in the warm air. She blushed and readjusted her bag as I looked down and smiled cordially at her.

 "Thank you, it is my first day so I was trying to prepare myself before I went inside," my voice was calm and rich. I noticed the slight pivoting as she looked back towards the front doors.

"You're new? Do you want me to show you to the office?" She turned back towards me a little eager,making sure the movement shuffled her skirt.

The disturbance of the air around us pushed her perfume about. It was a delicately sweet smell but a little overwhelming, at least for me. I appreciated her flirtation although I knew she probably did not realize the extent of it. It was the body's natural response; try to be more appealing to what you are attracted too. The moving of her body drew attention to the fact that she was wearing a skirt while the slight arching of her back brought the focus back towards her figure. The perfume she wore was meant to be alluring to the opposite sex and encourage them into pursuing her. It mixed surprisingly well with her natural scent, which by itself would have been appealing enough for me. I had to applaud her effort, I am sure it worked to her advantage more than once.